Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

197 Posts

12-20-2011

usa

803 Signins

3395 Page Views

• Views: 3395
  • Message 1 of 18

if i like my Surface Pro, would i love a TT2?

2013-02-13, 3:40 AM

hi. full disclosure - I own and HATE an android Thinkpad Tablet (1). it is by far the worst piece of computing I've ever bought (and I own an HTC thunderbolt, so that's sayig something).

I bought the Surface Pro on Saturday and really like it so far. the main advantage of a win8 tablet (for me) is that I can do all the tablet-like stuff of email and web WITH ACCESS TO ALL OF MY FILES. I just sugarsync them in the backgrou d so they are on the tablet when I need them.

of course the big stinker about the "spro" is 5 hours of battery life. I read that the TT2 has 10 hours thanks to tne atom chip. should I switch? I occasionally do some heavy-duty computing (Stata) but a lot of my stuff is editing documents and so on.

Options

4020 Posts

12-22-2008

Canada

12687 Signins

183886 Page Views

• Views: 183886
  • Message 2 of 18

Re: if i like my Surface Pro, would i love a TT2?

2013-02-13, 4:00 AM

I have no experience with the Surface Pro. One reason why the TPT2 has much better battery life is it uses a relatively slow Atom processor with 2GB RAM  rather than the i5 and 4GB in the SPro. You should take that into consideration if you "occasionally do some heavy-duty computing."

Added:

A couple of recent reviews of the TPT2 that make passing comparisons with the SPro:

Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 review - SlashGear

Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 review - Engadget

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

18 Posts

01-10-2013

nj

53 Signins

261 Page Views

• Views: 261
  • Message 3 of 18

2013-02-13, 15:54 PM

i use tpt2 and i run stata without any problem. Obviously, i dont do any kind of imputation in tpt2, but other than that, everything run smoothly and fast.

Options

13 Posts

01-09-2013

Canada

10 Signins

142 Page Views

• Views: 142
  • Message 4 of 18

2013-02-13, 19:48 PM

I've had issues running multiple programs such as onenote, ppt, word, pdf at the same time (+ Background apps such as dropbox).. I recommend sticking with the Pro. If you really run into battery problems carry the charger and turn it off when you're not using it. I find if I'm really lazy or forget to charge it everyday my tablet runs out of batteries anyways.

I regret buying my TPT2. I've also had my powerbutton get stuck crippling my brand new 700 dollar tablet. (Word of warning, I'm biased and fairly pissed - I've had great experiences with other thinkpads but this is my last.)

Options

197 Posts

12-20-2011

usa

803 Signins

3395 Page Views

• Views: 3395
  • Message 5 of 18

2013-02-14, 3:19 AM

yikes, those sound like the kind of problems I had with the TPT1. piece of junk. reviews on the TPT2 have been mostly glowing, but good to know not all that glitters is gold.

Lenovo quality has definitely gone down, speaking as a 15-year Thinkpad enthusiast

Options

55 Posts

02-14-2013

USA

76 Signins

614 Page Views

• Views: 614
  • Message 6 of 18

2013-02-14, 7:45 AM

It depends. I bought a Surface pro 128 last saturday and yesterday I returned it.

Keeping things short, it was getting 3.5-4 hours of battery life under power saver mode and %40 brightness while I was taking notes on the screen and recording audio. That was very impractival for me since I hate owning a mobile computing device and constantly have to chrage it. I sometimes go thought 13 hour days and charging the tablet twice while on the go is very impractical.

Second issue was the ergonomics. It is too heavy to be a tablet but too small to be an ultrabook, too thick to be considred a slate (IMO). It is like a veyr talented basketball player that is 5 feet tall and runs out of breath in one quarter. When you want to take advantage of the I5 battery goes as fast as humanly possible, fans start whining, back gets warm and you end up hunching over the little screen to see what is actually happening.

I just ordered a thinkpad tablet 2 last night and I am hoping that it can run one note 13 while recording video on the background, without slowing down. All I need is one note, word, excell, visio, microsoft project, sound recorder, audio recorder, youtube, pdf reader. If it can run two or three of these things at the same time without driving me nuts and goes 10 hours in an IPad for factor as far as weight and thickness, I will keep it until it dies.

Options

4020 Posts

12-22-2008

Canada

12687 Signins

183886 Page Views

• Views: 183886
  • Message 7 of 18

2013-02-14, 18:13 PM

10 Worst Tech Rip-Offs (And How To Avoid Them)

Core i5 Tablets

The world's most popular tablet, the iPad, costs $499 and gets 12 hours of battery life while 10-inch Android tablets usually go for $400 to $500 and provide 8 to 10 hours of juice. Unfortunately, a number of PC makers have released pricey Windows 8 tablets with Core i5 processors, speedy SSDs and really poor battery life.

From the $999 Acer Iconia W700 to the Microsoft Surface Pro, which starts at $899 ($999 with a keyboard), and the $1,199 Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T, these Core i5 tablets cost twice as much as their Android and iOS competitors while weighing 25 percent more and providing significantly less battery life. Though they are designed to provide high performance, their small screens and keyboards aren't enough to make most people toss their laptops, making them $1,000 secondary devices.

Solution:

Buy an Atom-powered Windows 8 tablet like the ThinkPad Tablet 2, which starts at $579, weighs just 1.2 pounds and lasts 9 hours and 42 minutes on a charge. Tablets with Atom processors aren't powerful enough to do the most intense tasks, but are inexpensive enough to let you afford that Ultrabook you've been eyeing.

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

226 Posts

10-08-2011

Florida

1049 Signins

4987 Page Views

• Views: 4987
  • Message 8 of 18

2013-02-14, 20:04 PM

wrote:

I just ordered a thinkpad tablet 2 last night and I am hoping that it can run one note 13 while recording video on the background, without slowing down. All I need is one note, word, excell, visio, microsoft project, sound recorder, audio recorder, youtube, pdf reader. If it can run two or three of these things at the same time without driving me nuts and goes 10 hours in an IPad for factor as far as weight and thickness, I will keep it until it dies.

I am also an avid OneNote user, and the TPT2 overall is great for that.  Ergnonomically, its the best tablet I've ever used due to the weight, and the good compromise between screen size but still small form factor.  I don't have big hands, but I can maintain a solid grip on the TPT2 portrait-wise with my left hand having my thumb on one side and my ring and pinky on the other, while I ink with my right.  It is awesome.

Battery life seems great, although I have not "stress-tested" it.

About recording video while doing OneNote-- the metro OneNote app does not support video recording, and I have yet to get OneNote 2010 to succesfully record video. Trying to do so gives an error message with a suggestion to change the audio and video profile settings under the Options menu, but no combination works.  I have googled the exact error message, and have not found a solution.

You should be able to record with another software while using OneNote, but not all webcam software has worked for me.  I cannot get ManyCam freeware to work:  It gives an error that it doesn't have permission to use the cameras.  I sort of think its a Metro UI-driven bug, as any Metro app that uses the cam or mike immediately pops up a dialog to request permission every time, but there is no corresponding dialogue from within the desktop mode.  I dunno.  Just passing that along as a heads up.

I was pretty grumpy about Windows 8 at first, especially the missing start menu.  Once I found freeware to restore the start menu (I'm using Classic Shell-- there are many.) I started to dislike W8 less.  IMHO, it is a half-baked OS, but the overall FANTASTIC hardware design by Lenovo (barring the underpowered USB) more than compensates.

JC

Options

55 Posts

02-14-2013

USA

76 Signins

614 Page Views

• Views: 614
  • Message 9 of 18

2013-02-15, 0:17 AM
I have succesfully recorded video and audio on my surface pro under Onenote2013 It may be the program or web cam driver issue for you.
Options

226 Posts

10-08-2011

Florida

1049 Signins

4987 Page Views

• Views: 4987
  • Message 10 of 18

2013-02-15, 4:44 AM

Thanks. Good to know.  I've never had problems before trying on my TPT2.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms