Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Token Ring
0 Kudos

Nvidia Driver Crashed and Recovered

I've been getting errors that say my 258 version nVidia Driver crashed and recovered. It's happened probably five times since I got my new replacement machine.

This time, it managed to corrupt a 3DS max file I was working on for school, so I just lost a bunch of work. I'm really close to just throwing my machine away and spending another $2700 on a Dell or something. 

Before I do that though, what could cause a driver to crash like that? I've updated to the version on nVidia's site, since Lenovo's driver is over a year old. Do I need to revert?

Every day I'm more disappointed with the build quality and reliability of something I spent so much money for. I do believe this is the last time I will *ever* purchase anything from this company.

Topics: 106
Kudos: 159
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 123
0 Kudos

Re: Nvidia Driver Crashed and Recovered

xtsubarublazin wrote:

Before I do that though, what could cause a driver to crash like that? I've updated to the version on nVidia's site, since Lenovo's driver is over a year old. Do I need to revert?

It is not recommended that you use drivers from Nvidia's Website for your system(It may have a customized version) .... didn't you get a warning dialog when you tried to download them?

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Highlighted
Token Ring
0 Kudos

No, I got no warning.

I just reverted to my old driver. How do I make sure it matches Lenovo's preferred version? I looked in device manager and in the TV toolbox but I don't see a version number related to the 258 I was running before (logically I'd see like a 198 or something).

Token Ring
0 Kudos

are you overclocking your graphics card?

one possiblity is part of the gpu is overheating, I've had the message before when I overclocked my gpu and was doing something really gpu intensive.