Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Reply
What's DOS?
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎04-11-2012
Location: United States
0 Kudos

Should I wait or get it now

Hi I'm thinking about getting a W520 but I was wondering whether I should wait for Ivy Bridge W series to come out. I'm not going to be getting the new ivy bridge but I was thinking that W520 price will drop. Will the price drop a lot or just a little? I'm a college student and I'm tight on budget. I need help guys. I was thinking of getting W520 2760QM with 1080 4gb ram, smallest hdd so I can upgrade myself. Above setup comes out to $1399.99 at the moment. Shoud I wait for price drop?

Token Ring
Posts: 487
Registered: ‎11-04-2010
Location: Sydney
0 Kudos

Re: Should I wait or get it now

Here's what I would do...if you're tight on budget (I was a student once).

 

Wait for used a W520 (but still in warranty) after the W530 is released.

I'm guessing some of the current W520 users will be upgrading.

 

The only 3 things you really need to look into from a used unit are:

1. Does it have the SSS issue (look for the 100+ pages thread).

2. Battery condition.

3. How much warranty is left.

 

Most used Thinkpads of 1 year of age don't usually get much cosmetic wear, if any.

 

If you feel safer with a new system, I'd still suggest you to wait for the W530 to be released, because some stores/eBay will try to clear stocks.

Highlighted
What's DOS?
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎04-11-2012
Location: United States
0 Kudos

Re: Should I wait or get it now

thanks for the reply

 

I guess I'll wait for an used W520 or try to get one when W530 comes out.

 

thanks again!