Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Paper Tape
0 Kudos

cd/dvd drive failure?

hi all

today i was trying to make a dvd of some family videos, all my files were on a re-writable disc which i copyed over to my laptop so i could burn copies onto dvd.

i had made an iso image of the dvd which i was going to burn using dvd decrypter, it was at this time i was informed that the dvd i was using was unreadable.

i tried a few more each reporting that the were the wrong media, i have gone onto try cd's bought dvd's and game disc's, nothing is working anymore.

when you put a disc in it spins for about five seconds then you hear a light buzz sound and the disc stops spinning, windows is seeing the dvd drive and reporting that it is working normally ?

i am at a complet loss here as to what has happend, has my dvd suffered a catastrophic failure or what ? any solutions would be greatful before i call lenovo and have the drive exchanged as i am still under warrinty.

laptop is a w520 dvd drive is model hl-dt-st dvdram gt33n.

cheers in advance for any help givin.

Paper Tape
0 Kudos

Re: cd/dvd drive failure?

hi guys

just a quick update regarding my dvd drive, was unable to find anything online that would help me sort out this problem.

so today i contacted lenovo support, went through the usuall stuff.

this guy nick conected to my laptop had a look at the drive for me tried flashing with new firmware but i was already on latest

so it would seem that my drive is indead dead, and i will be getting a brand new drive tomorrow morning, fantastic service cant fault it, i wish i had just phoned them instead of endlessly searching online for solutions.