Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad X Series Laptops Knowledge Base

Docking Stations for X1 Carbon

Question

What are the approved docking stations for the ThinkPad X1 Carbon?

Answer

There are two official docks that you can get for the ThinkPad X1 Carbon and both of them are USB solutions.

Option 1)  Lenovo USB 2.0 Port replicator with Digital Video (US) - Part Number: 0A33942

This option gives you one DVI/VGA solution, so you can only connect one LCD to the port replicator, in addition to the 2 screens you can run on the X1 (1 internal + 1 mini DP/HDMI or (1 miniDP + 1 HDMI).

This provides a quick and easy connection to the peripherals you use every day where you can plug in the USB cable to access your video display, Ethernet network, headphones or speakers, USB printer, keyboard, mouse and more.

The Lenovo USB2.0 Port replicator with Digital Video (US) 

• Supports 24 different video resolutions up to 2048 x 1152 (LCD widescreen mode)
  • Mirrors or extends notebook display to second monitor for enhanced productivity
  • Has a compact and sleek mini-tower design which takes up less space
  • Is hot pluggable so you can dock and undock or connect and disconnect devices without having to reboot the system
  • Has a DVI-I monitor output supports digital or analog displays.  Includes a DVI-to-VGA dongle for connecting VGA displays.

Other ports include:

• 4 x USB 2.0
  • 2 forward facing ports -- ideal for quick access devices like memory keys
  • 2 rear facing ports -- ideal for printers, keyboards and mice
  • USB 2.0 ports are backward compatible to USB 1.1devices
  • 1 x 10/100M Ethernet
  • 1 x 3.5mm stereo headphone
  • 1 x 3.5mm stereo microphone
  • Cable lock slot provides physical security.

The The Lenovo USB2.0 Port replicator with Digital Video (US) supports Microsoft Windows XP SP2, Microsoft Windows Vista 32bit and 64bit and Microsoft Windows 7 32bit and 64bit.

The package includes AC power adapter, DVI-to-VGA display adapter, USB cable and driver CD.

Option 2) Lenovo ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock - Part Number: 0A33970

If you need more LCD support (i.e. 2 more external LCD + 2 from the laptop) and want to have a Gigabit Ethernet + USB 3.0 hub, it is recommended that you choose this option.

You can run two LCDs from the ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock, and two from ThinkPad X1. This is the result of using all the video connection points on the ThinkPad X1 + ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock.

The ThinkPad USB 3.0 Dock "provides a quick and easy connection to all the workspace peripherals you use every day. Simply plug in a single USB 3.0 cable into your Lenovo PC for instant access to up to two external monitors, Gigabit Ethernet, headphones/speakers, USB printers and scanners, keyboard, mouse, and up to 5 Gbit/s access to external storage (over 10 times faster than USB 2.0)."

The Lenovo ThinkPad 3.0 Dock can support two LCDs at 2048x1152 px (max).

Example of multiple LCDs setup: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60081959@N04/7759129108/

Was this information helpful?

Yes No

Comments

ghoule On 2014-03-07, 0:09 AM

The ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock does not have an audio port in the back.  It only has a headset port in the front.  Are we supposed to keep the external speaker cables plugged to the front of the dock?

snake2332 On 2014-04-08, 4:49 AM

If you have a 2nd gen X1 Carbon, there is a OneLink port. This page shows the OneLink docks as recommended:

http://www.lenovoquickpick.com/usa/system/thinkpad/x-series/x1-carbon-2nd-gen

That OneLink Pro is what I'd get for the office, though I would like to see two display ports....I can deal with one DVI and one DP connection I suppose.

davidm52 On 2014-04-15, 22:10 PM

Docking Station USB 3.0 Port Connection - Lenovo has not used the common design for USB 3.0 ports. Many companies designate USB 3.0 as a blue color and USB 2.0 as black. Both types of ports on my X1 Carbon are black. This is critical if you plug your docking station into the wrong one...I have been. This resulted in absolute terrible video and mouse lag and I have dual DVI displays connected to the docking station. Two months of suffering. Hope this post helps someone else. Note: On mine the 3.0 port is on the right-hand side.

benzmar On 2014-04-24, 15:06 PM

Looks like I have been betrayed of my ignorance. I always used X220 with docking station, where my power adaptor was one affixed in my office docking station, and the another in my house. I dock it either in house or office and it charges my laptop. of course, I was using all other features of docking station like USB ports, Microphone port, LAN port, etc.

Now that I have migrated to X1 Carbon 1st generation model (2013), the power cord is flat model. My barrel one used in X220 has become obselte. Not knowing the purpose of docking station, I spent a huge amount in getting one for my X1 Carbon, and unfortunately, this doesn't charge my laptop. I find it difficult to carry the charger to office, and set it up again in home. 

Instead of buying another 90W power adaptor for my X1 Carbon, is there any connectors/ converters which can use my X220 barrel type adaptor and converts to flat power cord to my X1 Carbon? I would love to procure that instead of buying another power adaptor. This will save the weight of carrying a power adaptor, by just carrying a small convertor. 

I saw few in amazon and other sites, but the barrel model doesn't seem to match my X220 model pin/port. Can you please guide to let me know which is the right converter to use.

I am looking something similar as in below link, but from X220 adaptor to X1 Carbon 2013 model. Please help.

http://www.amazon.com/Patuoxun%C2%AE-Converter-Adapter-ThinkPad-0B47046/dp/B00E39GCP6 

rasheeth On 2014-09-17, 6:52 AM

One Link station  on/off button doesn't have indicator led light, how to determine the notebook (X1 Carbon) is in on/off (close down the LCD Screen and it connected with external monitor)

HermosaSteve On 2014-12-03, 18:20 PM

I am using the one-link dock with my X1 carbon and so far it is very good.  

DAE51D On 2014-12-10, 21:35 PM

I have the OneLink dock as well for my X1 Carbon.

Overall I do like it a lot.  The 'one link' plug is very convenient as it makes it trivial to take the X1 to a meeting in a conference room or to leave at night/arrive in the morning, etc. No messing with multiple plugs/cables/ethernet/audio/LCD/etc.

HOWEVER, and it gets old real fast... I've had this since June 2014 and a few times per day the display gets garbled and goes black for a couple of seconds. I've tried every firmware and software update they offer and it has yet to be fixed. I'm not the only lucky one either. Do a search and you'll see many others with this annoying problem.

SO, would I recommend it still -- yes as it's only $200 and well worth the convenience. I'm still optimistic this bug will eventually get fixed somehow. But man it gets irritating when you're in the middle of something and *poof*...

tomwhite1 On 2015-01-16, 20:18 PM

I just bought a X1 Carbon ver.?2 I bought two OneLink Pro Docks on line (One new and one used). Both were advertised as being compatible with the X1 Carbon but neither are identified as being 4X10E52935? Both are Model DU9033S1. Other numbers are FRU PN 03X6819? Are these the Model 4X10E52935 that the Lenovo help desk said was the compatible  Dock 

RaymondAaeyir On 2015-02-13, 21:51 PM

When I press Fn + F6, there is now response on my X230

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Delete