Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad X Series Laptops Knowledge Base

How to do clean install of Windows 7 64bit from USB on ThinkPad X120e

Question

I want to create a USB key version of Windows 7 64 bit and install on ThinkPad X120e.  

What resources are available to help me do this?

Answer

You might like to try this tool; Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool  Please ensure you read the notes.

Recommend that you install Win7 and then the chipset driver for your system, (found through second link below). If you can get online at that point you should then just let System Update get the drivers for you.  If you can't get online you will need to get the necessary LAN / WLAN driver for your system from the support site.

It looks like for the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool to work, you have to have an ISO of the Win7 DVD. If you have the retail DVD, you would also need to download a program that will create an ISO image of the DVD. Another potential way to accomplish the same goal is to prepare the thumb drive with diskpart.exe (included with Windows) and copy the contents of the DVD to the thumb drive (which should be at least 4GB).

Here's a Microsoft TechNet article with instructions: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

Was this information helpful?

Yes No

Comments

timevil On 2016-12-06, 18:38 PM

I posted a solution on this thread

Re: Lenovo X260 - Clean installation of Windows 7 driver issue

Cheers!!! 

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Delete