Options

28 Posts

07-17-2014

US

55 Signins

457 Page Views

• Views: 457
  • Message 1 of 1

2015 X1 Carbon (20BS) Display Hinge trouble is coming back to haunt me!

2016-12-09, 18:59 PM

Earlier this year, I experienced a serious display flickering issue and the eventual full-blown display failure on my X1 Carbon (2015 20BS). The keyboard bezel around the display hinge (specifically the left one when you face the screen), is extremely sensitive to any amount of finger pressure. On top of that, the bottom of the laptop close to the hinge is just as sensitive to touch as well. 

These sensitive areas can cause the display to stop working intermintently (off and on). Eventually, after about a week or so, the display would stop working all together.

Since my X1 Carbon was just out of warranty, I had to send it to IBM for repair. The cost is $700, not including shipping and state + city taxes (about $50 worth). Initially I thought, maybe it was stress from carrying it around daily inside a laptop carrying case (I mean, X1 Carbon being a ultrabook..super portable right?). So now, after the repair, I actually treat this X1 Carbon way better than I do with my Apple Macbook Pro. In fact, the X1 Carbon is on house arrest, permanently sitting on my office desk.

Fast forward a couple months since the repair, out of blue today, I decided to lower the audio volume, and I suddenly noticed a screen flicker. "Oh c*ap!" thought in my head. 

Lo and behold, yep, the hinge trouble is back again without me ever putting any unsual stress on this ultrabook!. I am at a loss on what to do. At this point, if I spend anohter $700 on this repair, I might as well ditch this and switch to a T series. This is truly the worst ThinkPad I have ever used, and I do not think I will ever buy another X series ever again.

Here is a video of me documenting this issue. 

I am aware this X1 Carbon is out of warranty, but if this is a design issue, maybe Lenovo really should acknowledge this once and for all.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save