cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackburdick
Paper Tape
Views: 16,751
Message 1 of 19

2017 x1 yoga with Thunderbolt 3 and egpu (razer core) for cuda deep learning?

Hello,

I'm interested in buying the new x1 yoga when it becomes available.  

I'm a graduate student and my focus is in deep learning.  I'm aware that there are other options available (NVIDIA built in), but I am interested in the portability of the X1.  I'm also aware that transfer speeds can be a problem when using an eGPU but it's my understanding thunderbolt3 could be "fast enough" for this application.

Would I be able to do cuda programming with the x1 and an eGPU like the razer core + titan x though the thunderbolt 3 port?

Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 16,676
Message 2 of 19

Re: 2017 x1 yoga with Thunderbolt 3 and egpu (razer core) for cuda deep learning?

I don't think anyone can give you a definitive answer.  You are asking about compatibility with a programming environment that stresses parallel processing and attaching a relatively new GPU processor.  I did a quick review of the new X1 Yoga and everything I tested worked fine with no issues.  I am sure nVIDIA got samples of Kaby Lake machines and they would normally test their products (like Razer Core Titan X) with new chipset drivers, but unless some tested that particular combination of hardware and software there is no way to be sure that it would work "out of the box".

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
jackburdick
Paper Tape
Views: 16,544
Message 3 of 19

Re: 2017 x1 yoga with Thunderbolt 3 and egpu (razer core) for cuda deep learning?

Thanks for getting back to me.  I see what you're saying -- that's, the connection/the eGPU being recognized by the X1, my concern.  I think the enclosure/nvidia/thunderbolt3 is a useable combo I'm just not sure on connectivity.  I've never used an eGPU before and so I was hoping to someone would tell me this is a nonissue.

bvinla
Paper Tape
Views: 16,313
Message 4 of 19

BUMP !

With the new Yoga and X1 Carbons now availble for purcahse I'm hoping someone has tried one with a Thunderbolt 3 eGPU solution.

eGPU over TB3 is an amazing solution that allows for using a nice ultrabook for travel and meetings, but when at a desk, all the power for CAD, video production, multiple 4k montiors, and games. 

Currently the Dell XPS 13 and 15 are eGPU compatible, as is the Razer Stealth and Razer Blade. This said I'd much prefer a thinkpad X series with extras like the fingerprint scanner, trackpoint, and nicer keyboard.  

Sure there are larger heavier thinkpads with built in graphics.  But even the massive 7lb thinkpad P71's built in GPU is no match for a cheap 200 dollar desktop GPU.  So unless you need the GPU onboard while away from your desk and are willing to pack an extra 5 lbs of hardware for that luxury, the eGPU is a better fit.

Hopefully someone with a 2017 thinkpad, or better yet Lenovo will report back if the latest thinkpads work with eGPUs.

Deck128
What's DOS?
Views: 16,049
Message 5 of 19

Just brought an X1 Carbon 2017. Plugged a Razer Core in and it automatically installed all the drivers. Works a treat! Sweet!!

bene552
Paper Tape
Views: 15,997
Message 6 of 19

Thats great news! Actually it's the first case of a working X1 2017 + egpu combination.

Could I ask you a few things? Here goes:

1. What graphics card are you using? 

2. Does the X1 support EGPU? I am looking for a confirmation in the Thunderbolt Controller menu, as presented below: 

https://www.akitio.com/information-center/node-gpu-compatibility

could you post a print screen?

3. Have you tried hi-quality, full-detail gaming in demanding titles such e.g. Witcher 3, Civilization 6? What do you think of the eGPU performance? 

Thank you in advance! Would be great to hear your reply.

B

Deck128
What's DOS?
Views: 15,542
Message 7 of 19

Hey Mate, Sorry for the late reply. I didn't see this notification.

Using: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 SC - It was a very tight fit in the razer core regarding the power cables on the top of the card.

Still working great! Tried WOW & Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands.

2017-04-07_08-12-23.png

voxelv
Paper Tape
Views: 14,508
Message 8 of 19

Where in the world are the 2017 Yoga X1's available?

ToeffToeffer
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,051
Message 9 of 19

In Germany they were available from May 10 for a few days. I ordered mine on campuspoint.de but it seems like they're sold out there at the moment...

Regarding the eGPU: If I open the thunderbolt software, there is no information shown.

I uploaded some screenshots here: http://imgur.com/a/Fx6OF

If you have an idea where else to look up if the x1 yoga has the eGPU feature, let me know and I will try to find it out...

Blueshift
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,024
Message 10 of 19

Can you say if the unit will also charge the notebook via USB-C?  That would make it the ultimate dock...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors