Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xstntl
Paper Tape
Views: 725
Message 1 of 11

2019 X1 Yoga 4th Gen: Pen DOA

Pen Pro is not working, not connecting, not paired, and seems like it's not recognized at all.

Just received my 2019 ThinkPad X1 Yoga. First thing I do is try the pen. Nothing - no notification when removing or replacing into its slot, no reaction on screen. Nothing happens when pressing or holding pen buttons. The Lenovo and Windows software let me configure the pen but the pen is not recognized. If I show the pen battery status in the task, it comes up illustrating about 75% even when stowed in the laptop for hours.

Updated system completely from both the Lenovo side and Windows.

Removed and re-installed wacom and hid-pen drivers.

Any suggestions?

lcreiner
What's DOS?
Views: 637
Message 2 of 11

Re: 2019 X1 Yoga 4th Gen: Pen DOA

Have the same exact issue. Called customer service and they sent me a new pen. Should arrive tomorrow. Any progress on your end?

Will let you know if new pen works.

xstntl
Paper Tape
Views: 589
Message 3 of 11

After 3 calls and being transferred around for 40 minutes, I finally got a rep that took care of me. He is sending me a new pen also, however, he told me they were backordered and it wouldn't get to me until 5-7 days. 

Let me know if the pen swap worked for you. 

By the time I receive mine, I'll be towards the end of the return window. I'd rather return than deal with warranty for a brand new laptop.

Anyway, I tried uninstalling the drivers and installing different versions but all with the same result - no response from the pen. 

lcreiner
What's DOS?
Views: 545
Message 4 of 11

New pen didnt work either... seems like a hardware issue potentially. Everything else seems to work perfectly. Returning the machine now. Let me know how it goes for you.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 522
Message 5 of 11

Look in the silo at the 2 metal contacts that charge the pen.  Check to see if they look pushed back.  If they do, you might push then GENTLY with something pointed and non-metalic like a toothpick.  Don't short them out.  If they pop back out, put the pen in and see if it charges.  It takes less than a minute.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Chaey
Punch Card
Views: 503
Message 6 of 11

I did all of what you did and the new pen didn't work so I sent it back.
I think a lot of people are having this issue as the pen is on backorder.
The wires connecting to the pen charger look weak and held in by hot glue to the small molex plug.

Before I returned it I should have tried to See if the always on USB right next to it was working? Connecting and if it was charging. If that is dead then if you take the bottom cover off you will see the small PCB that connects the pen charging wire to the USB. I remember there was a screw or 2 holding it in. I should have checked the underside of that.

Well not sure if you want to try this as it is still with in the return for a full refund time.
xstntl
Paper Tape
Views: 363
Message 7 of 11

Received a replacement pen after a week waiting for backorder stock. Same issue with new pen meaning that it's most likely a problem with the computer. Lenovo is going to exchange the computer. 

Amiroquai
Paper Tape
Views: 336
Message 8 of 11

Is the machine supposed to make a sound when you insert or remove the pen to or from the silo?

The pen on my X1Y4, which is slotted for a return due to a different issue, works but there is no audible or visual (screen notification) feedback when the pen goes in and out of the silo.  I am wondering if the pen is simply running on fumes from production as i haven't really tested or used it much to make a dent in the battery.

Is there a menu to see status and percentage of charge?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 318
Message 9 of 11

@Amiroquai wrote:

Is the machine supposed to make a sound when you insert or remove the pen to or from the silo?

The pen on my X1Y4, which is slotted for a return due to a different issue, works but there is no audible or visual (screen notification) feedback when the pen goes in and out of the silo.  I am wondering if the pen is simply running on fumes from production as i haven't really tested or used it much to make a dent in the battery.

Is there a menu to see status and percentage of charge?

Good day.

There's no sound generated when I remove/insert the pen on my X1Y4.

Regarding the pen's charge level: launch Lenovo Vantage, select Hardware Settings, select Input, scroll down to the bottom, and touch the pen tip in the box for its status.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

roux
Paper Tape
Views: 238
Message 10 of 11

I'm having the same issue. I'll attempt to get a replacement pen, but judging by the others I'll most likely need a replacement laptop.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors