Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Chaey
Punch Card
Views: 1,815
Message 121 of 267

Re: 2019 X1 Yoga 4th Gen discussion thread

@markchodotcom wrote:

Just got mine, 4k screen. I ordered June 20th and just received it. Coming from an X1 Carbon Gen 6 and I used to own the Yoga Gen 2 as well. 

In general, I'm happy with it. Kind of interesting to have a non-black Thinkpad, though I still prefer the black colour and finish.

I am having a hard time telling what the aluminium parts are. The lid does seem more rigid than a Carbon so I think that's alu. Keyboard deck seems a little more rigid, I think also alu. The bottom plate feels a little different. A little more flex and a little different sound when I tap it, I suspect it's not? I can't be certain, just my initial observations. 

The keyboard travel is a little shallower but also a little stiffer. It's different but not necessarily in a bad way. I'm enjoying it. 

I am pleasantly surprised at the 4k screen. I scale at 225% as opposed to 175% on the QHD on the Carbon Gen 6 and the extra sharpness of 4k for weird scaling is helpful. 

Speakers are noticeably better and slightly louder. 

Couple things that bug me:

The trackpoint buttons are flat now, so you can't feel them as easily.

No more microSD card slot. This is probably the most annoying. I used to keep a 400gb microSD in my Carbon Gen 6 for miscellaneous non critical stuff like downloads, temporary files, etc. Now I can't do that at all. 

Question for everybody: How easy is it to change out the internal SSD for a larger capacity one? Is there a whitelist I have to follow? 

If you look at the left or right side with it closed. Does the monitor housing have the same finish as the main chassis with the ports? Both have brushed aluminum finish? Or are they different finish and color? Like mine?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VPRN_vMtVto8OB8y4b9RssPkcPj-741B/view?usp=drivesdk

I am assuming you didn't get the WANN.

Thanks in advanced.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,814
Message 122 of 267

@BorisD wrote:

Hi Guys, 

I've finally got my X1 yoga 4th generation, ordered on july 8th, arrived August 2nd. Even I have only a browser open, and the battery life seems to be around 4 hours. 

Anyway, I am finidng the computer runs hot all the time. I read some threads for 3rd generation, and there was even a lenovo patch to adjust the windows power settings. Anyone else experiencing the same? 

Which machine configuration do you have?

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

BorisD
Punch Card
Views: 1,804
Message 123 of 267

@NateS wrote:

@BorisD wrote:

Hi Guys, 

I've finally got my X1 yoga 4th generation, ordered on july 8th, arrived August 2nd. Even I have only a browser open, and the battery life seems to be around 4 hours. 

Anyway, I am finidng the computer runs hot all the time. I read some threads for 3rd generation, and there was even a lenovo patch to adjust the windows power settings. Anyone else experiencing the same? 

Which machine configuration do you have?

Regards.

It is the following model number: 20QF0015US,

• System Common Attributes
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-8665U with vPro (1.90GHz, up to 4.80GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 Cores, 8MB Cache)
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64
  • Display Type: 14.0" WQHD (2560 x 1440) 280 nits, IPS, multi-touch, glossy
  • Memory: 16GB LPDDR3 2133MHz (Onboard)
  • Hard Drive: 512GB Solid State Drive M.2 PCIe-NVMe, Opal
  • Warranty: 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
  • Graphics: Integrated Intel® UHD Graphics 620
  • Notebook Attributes
  • Camera: 720p HD Camera with microphone
  • Pen: ThinkPad Pen Pro
  • Fingerprint Reader: Fingerprint Reader
  • Keyboard: Backlit Keyboard - US English
  • Wireless: Intel® 9560 802.11AC vPro (2 x 2) & Bluetooth® 5.0
markchodotcom
Paper Tape
Views: 1,789
Message 124 of 267

@chaey

Both top (screen) and bottom (everything else) are brushed. My machine does not have WAN

drjochen
Punch Card
Views: 1,456
Message 125 of 267

I would not expect longer battery life than ~4 hours. There is a long thread about battery life on the 3rd gen. Since the hardware and battery size are similar, should be the same numbers.

dbao
Punch Card
Views: 1,441
Message 126 of 267

@markchodotcom wrote:

@chaey

Both top (screen) and bottom (everything else) are brushed. My machine does not have WAN

There are two versions of base: earlier production uses CNC aluminum, and you will the brushed edge. Later production uses powder metallurgy processed magnesium alloy, and you will see the matte edge.

CNC Aluminum version is no longer in production as far as I know all current x1 models are made by LCFC, not Foxconn. You can also see from PSREF, the base material is "Magnesium alloy".

There is no paper version, wood version, plastic version or leather version in the market.

Arbitrage88
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,434
Message 127 of 267

Wow.  I too would like to know if ordering the WWAN means you don't get an all aluminum body.  That is so unfortunate Chaey.  Sorry that mismatched assembly was shipped to you.  

Chaey
Punch Card
Views: 1,400
Message 128 of 267

@Arbitrage88 wrote:

Wow.  I too would like to know if ordering the WWAN means you don't get an all aluminum body.  That is so unfortunate Chaey.  Sorry that mismatched assembly was shipped to you.  

Someone else got the X1Y4 without WANN last Fri or Sat and posted some pictures for me. It was aluminum chassis and aluminum monitor shell. Like the CES. So I feel like if you don't get WANN you will get "all aluminum" the bottom screwed on cover is the magnesium material. Also someone on this thread couple posts up also got aluminum chassis. Without WANN. 

I hope Lenovo didnt stop production of the aluminum chassis version like dbao said. I already reordered a non WANN X1Y4.

The Windows hello is soooooooo awesome. Never knew windows had something like that. And the 4K ... Seriously once you go 4K on a  14" screen... You can't go back to 1080p. It looks so pixelated. I got spoiled with the awesomeness. The batter life is not that great though. I would say I got 4~5.5 hours. It does run a little hot. But it didn't throttle.  The right side exhaust did also warm up my hand but I didn't mind it. The fan is pretty quiet when it runs but most of the time it didn't run. There were some lag using it in the beginning but I figured out how to fix it. If the pen worked I might have kept it. Hopefully the replacement one (the new one I ordered) won't have any issues. Oh and the speakers is really really good for the size of this laptop. This was the best 2in1 I have used minus the other things that happened.

BrianHFASPS
Token Ring
Views: 1,239
Message 129 of 267

@Chaey wrote:

The Windows hello is soooooooo awesome. Never knew windows had something like that. 

Welcome to 4 years ago Smiley Happy had this on Surface Pro since 2015. It is quite awesome. It is too bad that it is an option only on certain models still.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 1,214
Message 130 of 267

@dbao wrote:

@markchodotcom wrote:

@chaey

There are two versions of base: earlier production uses CNC aluminum, and you will the brushed edge. Later production uses powder metallurgy processed magnesium alloy, and you will see the matte edge.

CNC Aluminum version is no longer in production as far as I know all current x1 models are made by LCFC, not Foxconn. You can also see from PSREF, the base material is "Magnesium alloy".

There is no paper version, wood version, plastic version or leather version in the market.

Haha, that last line is great. Smiley Happy. As for the case material, do you know more about the decision process for moving away from aluminum for the bottom casing? Is it just because LCFC can’t do CNC Al, or was a change necessitated by issues with WWAN signal transmission?

Aluminum likely feels different, more ‘cold metallic’. I think magnesium tends to feel and sound more like plastic, so personally I’d prefer an all-aluminum model if I were buying. 

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors