Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kwjones00
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,323
Message 11 of 35

Re: 2019 X1 Yoga Gen 4 Poor Battery Life

Thanks for responding. I had restarted the computer and had it running with nothing else happening for about 5 minutes. The only thing open was task manager because I wanted to see what kind of background tasks were running. I have the screen set at 50% brightness. As I said I’ll keep an eye on it the next couple days to see how it’s doong over time.

Since I have your attention and I know you’ve spent a good amount of time with this device, can I ask you a separate question about HDR? I went into windows display settings and clicked on the options to play games and apps in HDR. When I did that, the display got very dark with a very red tint. I tried to run a Dolby vision video in Netflix and it was impossibly dark. Have you experienced anything like that with yours? I can watch Dolby vision videos in Netflix with the HDR option turned off without any issues.

ocwayne
Fanfold Paper
Views: 943
Message 12 of 35

Same thing happened to me when I switched HDR on for the first time.  Then I experienced flickering between bright and dim display when I had apps open.  I read in another thread here that there is an Interl Graphics Control Panel and it was recommended to set the saturation setting down to -25.  So I did that and it seemed to resolve the issue.  Have you tried that?

Highlighted
kwjones00
Fanfold Paper
Views: 912
Message 13 of 35

I returned mine when I heard about the Comet Lake update coming later this month, as well as the Yoga C940 coming in October.

I was also considering the Dell XPS 7390, but I tried and returned that as I wasn't impressed. I'll make a decision between the refreshed X1 Yoga and the C940 after they are both out next month.
ocwayne
Fanfold Paper
Views: 899
Message 14 of 35

Is the Comet Lake update just a faster processor? I haven't read about it.

kwjones00
Fanfold Paper
Views: 895
Message 15 of 35

As I understand it, it's the latest Intel 14nm processors, which they are calling 10th gen, even though they differ from the Ice Lake 10nm 10th gen processors. I'm not sure how many machines are out with the Comet Lake processors so I haven't seen benchmarking that shows whether/how much faster they are than the 8th gen processors.
ocwayne
Fanfold Paper
Views: 877
Message 16 of 35

I was able to find some articles about the upcoming updates. Thanks for the info. Fortunately, I don't think I will even use this version to it's performance capacity, but the new C940 looks great.

I am still concerned about the HDR screen working properly though. How did you determine that yours was faulty? I've never had an HDR screen before. It is a bit tough to know if it is working properly or not. I've tried some 4k HDR videos on YouTube and don't seem to have any color problems. Were the problems found only when you used Netflix in Dolby vision? Is there a setting in Netflix to cater to Dolby vision?

kwjones00
Fanfold Paper
Views: 851
Message 17 of 35

I'm not a tech expert, so honestly I determined it was faulty just by looking at it. It looked terrible when switched into HDR mode. It was somewhat better after getting the Intel Graphics Panel updated and removing the red bias, but it still just looked extremely dark. By comparison, the XPS 13 7390 looked only slightly dimmer than it's usual display when you switched it over to HDR. Same for my Razer Blade 2019. The way the X1 looked, there was no way you'd ever want to leave it in HDR mode.

As for Netflix, I don't believe there is anyway to calibrate the Dolby Vision. It just comes on automatically. I thought Dolby Vision looked fine on the X1 Yoga after I got the red bias removed.

I also thought HDR youtube videos looked and played well when HDR mode was set to off in the display options.
ocwayne
Fanfold Paper
Views: 845
Message 18 of 35

Thanks for the info. The HDR setting seems to be working ok for me so far. It was just strange when it dimmed considerably when I first turned it on as you experienced on yours, but some saturation adjustments seem to have corrected mine. I'm going to toy around with it again tonight as I've only had it for less than a week.

Zac32
Fanfold Paper
Views: 715
Message 19 of 35

I have had my computer for about a month now. But within the last week, something strange has started to happen. The battery gauge shows plenty of power, but then the computer suddenly closes down, and just prior to doing so, the battery gauge shows 0%. When opening the computer it will again show say 78% power, but then a few minutes later it will again close down. This even happens with the charger inserted. I have tried to recalibrate the battery gauge, but this didn't help. Any suggestions?

I should add that i have recently been using a non-lenovo 60w USB-C charger. Could this be the explanation?

Zac32
Fanfold Paper
Views: 711
Message 20 of 35

In continuation of my last message, the lenovo power gauge icon in the task bar now shows a red x, but if I go into lenovo vantage and check the battery, it says that the battery is good and that power is 100%

We're moving

To a new platform very soon

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors