Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eallum
Paper Tape
Views: 1,929
Message 1 of 20

2019 X1 Yoga Gen 4 Poor Battery Life

Anyone else experiencing poor/short battery life on their new X1 Yoga gen 4, (p/n 20QF0016US, i7-8665U, UHD) ?

Have been experiencing between 4 -6 hrs battery life with lenovo default factory settings and little to no work load.

BorisD
Punch Card
Views: 1,806
Message 2 of 20

Re: 2019 X1 Yoga Gen 4 Poor Battery Life

@eallum wrote:

Anyone else experiencing poor/short battery life on their new X1 Yoga gen 4, (p/n 20QF0016US, i7-8665U, UHD) ?

Have been experiencing between 4 -6 hrs battery life with lenovo default factory settings and little to no work load.

I am experiencing the same, short battery life 4 - 6 hours (advertised 18hrs) on no use or light webbrowsing and email, and when plugged in fans are on all the time and computer overheats.

20QF0015US I7-8665U.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,799
Message 3 of 20

@BorisD wrote:

@eallum wrote:

I am experiencing the same, short battery life 4 - 6 hours (advertised 18hrs) on no use or light webbrowsing and email, and when plugged in fans are on all the time and computer overheats.

20QF0015US I7-8665U.

What is showing in Task Manager to be hitting the CPU when plugged in/fans on/overheating? Keep in mind that the fan inlet vent is on the bottom of the laptop, so more care is required to avoid restricting it.

Anyway, I don't see that behavior on my 8665U/4K UHD/16GB/1TB X1Y4. About the only time I ever even know the fans are running is when watching videos with higher than 1080 resolution. Did your laptop come with BIOS v1.13 or 1.14 and EC v1.05? Everything else up-to-date?

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

BorisD
Punch Card
Views: 1,794
Message 4 of 20

that is what I would expect. I keep it on flat table thus the air-flow should be good. Memory is runnging around 8Gb, 50%, processor bounces around 8 to 12%. 

I ran all the updates through vantage before doing anything else, the current BIOS is N2HET31W 1.14. The core teperatures are around 55C, with maximum record 100C. 

the fans are running in intelligent colling, balanced mode. Is there a way to check if the fans are actually operational?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,775
Message 5 of 20

@BorisD wrote:

that is what I would expect. I keep it on flat table thus the air-flow should be good. Memory is runnging around 8Gb, 50%, processor bounces around 8 to 12%. 

I ran all the updates through vantage before doing anything else, the current BIOS is N2HET31W 1.14. The core teperatures are around 55C, with maximum record 100C. 

the fans are running in intelligent colling, balanced mode. Is there a way to check if the fans are actually operational?

My RAM is at about 50%, also, but my CPU idles at 1-2%. Try sorting the CPU column high to low and see what's using yours.

What are you using for temp monitoring/reporting? HWMonitor on mine is showing 40-41C right now, with 62-63C as maximum.

Regards.

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

BorisD
Punch Card
Views: 1,762
Message 6 of 20

I will keep an eye on it. It was running at 60C maximum at 100C, and yes I am using HWMonitor. I ran a full hardware scan with Lenovo Vantage and no issues, and after that I am currently at 3-4% processor (likely not related), nothing sticks out, and heat has come down and temperatures are closer to yours, 50C, and laptop is not as hot anymore.

Thanks for the help Nate. Not sure what have changed tho, but things are looking normal now. and back to the original topic the battery life shows as 9hrs now, not 5 as before. 

elemuelsah
Paper Tape
Views: 1,712
Message 7 of 20

@NateS wrote:

@BorisD

My RAM is at about 50%, also, but my CPU idles at 1-2%. Try sorting the CPU column high to low and see what's using yours.

What are you using for temp monitoring/reporting? HWMonitor on mine is showing 40-41C right now, with 62-63C as maximum.

Regards.

Hi, what program do you have open when it's idling 1-2% CPU usage? I am still idling at around 8%. 

I am at 60% battery and it's estimated 4 hours of battery left.

eallum
Paper Tape
Views: 1,632
Message 8 of 20

Thank Nate and everyone for your reply.

I did a system update which included the BIOS and Intel Management Engine to the latest firmware. This seems to have resolved reporting of poor (4 hours) batttery life issue. At this moment, I now see that vantage toolbar battery power reporting between 8-14 hrs. Will see how it performs for the next few days.

Thanks.

kwjones00
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,566
Message 9 of 20

I just got mine today. i7 with the UHD. I think I've run all the updates (I used both Lenovo Vantage as well as running the Lenovo utility deal). When it was all done, I was still only showing an estimate of 2.5 hours at 50% charge. I'm definitely hoping for better. Maybe there needs to be some settling in time? I'll keep track over the next few days.
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,552
Message 10 of 20

@kwjones00 wrote:
I just got mine today. i7 with the UHD. I think I've run all the updates (I used both Lenovo Vantage as well as running the Lenovo utility deal). When it was all done, I was still only showing an estimate of 2.5 hours at 50% charge. I'm definitely hoping for better. Maybe there needs to be some settling in time? I'll keep track over the next few days.

Good day and welcome to the community.

Battery runtime estimates are dependent on many variables.

What kinds of things are you doing with your machine... watching video (and at what resolution), coding, rendering video, etc? What level are you running screen brightness at?

Regards.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors