Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joseguillen
Paper Tape
Views: 22,726
Message 1 of 23

2103 detection error on ssd0 (m.2)

Hi there,

I bought a x1 carbon 3rd gen and it has been working with no issues until today. I bought the 512gb ssd option. Suddenly, I am getting the mentioned error, 2103 detection error on ssd0 (m.2), each time I power on the laptop, with no possibility of booting into windows, etc.... Is this a failure in the ssd? Any suggestions?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 22,722
Message 2 of 23

Re: 2103 detection error on ssd0 (m.2)

Hi

What's the SSD model?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

joseguillen
Paper Tape
Views: 22,720
Message 3 of 23

As per specifications it should be the Samsung SM591 PCIe M.2

Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 22,702
Message 4 of 23

A good disk.

Now, please, check out the drive firmware and its upgrde on the manufacturer site.

Of course, make sure the drive is fitted properly.

Also, did you replace the drive while the battery was disabled in the BIOS Setup, w/o charger connected?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

joseguillen
Paper Tape
Views: 22,700
Message 5 of 23

I can't upgrade the firmware because windows doesn't even start Smiley Sad

The laptop camewith this setup, I haven't replaced the ssd. If I open the laptop to check it's well fitted, wouldn't I lose the warranty?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 22,691
Message 6 of 23

Sorry, I've decided you installed the new drive - "I bought the 512gb ssd option". My fault.

Factory fw version should be written on the drive label.
You'll keep the warranty even if remove the drive, just be accurate.

That's another case if the drive is preinstalled.
I remember there was the same issue on the forum earlier - the same laptop, the same drive. Solution - upgrade the BIOS. Do it using .ISO image, from external drive. For the safety, remove the drive before BIOS flashing. If you are able to enter BIOS setup disable the battery (laptop will power off immediatelly) and charger before drive removing.

joseguillen
Paper Tape
Views: 22,684
Message 7 of 23

So, step by step would be something like this?:

Download .ISO with latest BIOS. Can you give the download site details?

Save the ISO in an external drive.

Disable battery from BIOS.

Remove the SSD drive

Plugin the external drive to the x1 carbon

Switch on the laptop and update the bios. Is there a menu option for this in the bios?

Thank you so much.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 22,679
Message 8 of 23

Scenario is correct if you can't enter BIOS Setup after laptop power on and face an error.

F1 after power on, BIOS Setup will appear, config, power, disable built-in battery

There is no BIOS option to reflash it.

Note, it seems I have the same drive, MZHPV512HDGL, fw BXW2

Highlighted
joseguillen
Paper Tape
Views: 22,676
Message 9 of 23

I can enter BIOS menu after F1, no issues here. But if there's no option to reflash the new BIOS, how can I do it?

btw, I have already downloaded the ISO image from lenovo website and it's now saved in an external drive.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 22,668
Message 10 of 23

That's good.

Disable the battery, charger.
Remove the drive. It's for the safety as I mentioned, to prevent the system to freeze during the flasing process. That'll save laptop to be breaked.

If you have USB DVD drive, burn the disk, connect it with disk inside, power on, F12, select the DVD drive to boot, follow the screen information.

Once the flashing process will complete, laptop should be powered off itself.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors