Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dannyddn
Paper Tape
Views: 490
Message 1 of 7

2G Lenovo X1 Carbon - Poor Performance

Hey everyone!

I just picked up 2nd Gen X1 Carbon from a friend who bought it new and only used a few times.  After installing and getting things going, I was rather surprised on the performance of this notebook.  I can't multitask one bit without the cpu and memory hitting 95-100% and freezing up.  The machine is really slugish and slow.  I had a couple of apps running on it along with 3-4 chrome windows and I was hitting 95% memory utilization.  The CPU on this is 2.49GHz and the memory is only 4GB and I was thinking it over before buying on whether the memory was enough, seems like it's not.

I read on a few other board posts that the memory is soldered on to the board.  Has anyone every successfully and affortabily swapped out the board with something of higher performance and more memory (8-12GB)?

If there's no solution, I'll have to sell this one off and buy another one. I really love the sleek design of the carbon, so I would probably fork out the cash for a Gen 3/4 X1.

Thanks!

Dan

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 466
Message 2 of 7

Re: 2G Lenovo X1 Carbon - Poor Performance

Hi Dan and welcome to the Community,

I have the same machine running Windows 8.1 and it runs snappy and quick.  What OS are you running?  Is Windows update trying to run updates in the background?  Have you ran Task Manager to see what might be using up the CPU?

Regards,

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
dannyddn
Paper Tape
Views: 462
Message 3 of 7

Hey Dave!

I'm on Windows 10 Pro. I don't have any updates running on the background. The CPU spikes are usually when I have 2-3 programs open at the same time, plus it depends on what I'm running. The memory is a bigger concern and it's constantly over 85%. I have right now 2 chrome windows open, outlook, skype and it's at 86% memory. The top processes are chrome, skype, antivirus, outlook, etc plus a huge list of smaller processes.

At times, I run bluestacks android emulator and when I run this, cpu and memory hit 95-100% together and basically halts the machine so I can't use it at all on the x1 carbon.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 447
Message 4 of 7

Hi,

With nothing open, mine is running 35% memory.  With Chrome open and Outlook it is running 47% memory.  I'm not seeing your CPU spikes, that could be Windows 10 doing something.  

In comparison, I also have a Gen. 3 with 8GB ram and the i7 and it is running Win. 10 preload.  With Chrome open and 2 tabs, the memory runs at about 35%.  

Neither one shows the CPU spikes that you are seeing, that's why I asked about WU.  I know when WU is running, the CPU on both goes up over 75%.

Edit:  Are you using Defender or another anti virus program?  I'm using Defender on both. 

Regards,

Dave 

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
dannyddn
Paper Tape
Views: 432
Message 5 of 7

Hi Dave,

I'm using Avira Connect. It's actually my first time trying them out (always used AVG).

I did a bit of research and I found something which just helped quite a bit. My CPU is now below 25% and memory at 80% while I'm running Bluestacks, Chrome, Skype, Outlook. I enabled Virtualization Technology in the BIOS. This configuration alone has helped a huge deal.

After looking in to the processes, I noticed about 3 out of the top 15 are from my Antivirus. I might try and remove it and reinstall something different.  It's strange though, just basic web browsing takes up the most memory utilization.  If I still have problems, I can possibly go down to Win 7/8 and I'll continue researching ideas which can help this machine better perform under load!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 412
Message 6 of 7

I figured you were already running VT from the bios.  Yes, that setting will lower things.

Defender picks up most things and it uses little processor and not  much  memory.  I run free Malwarebytes about once a week to get rid of anything else.  I also run Ccleaner once a week to clean up junk files.

Dave

dannyddn
Paper Tape
Views: 394
Message 7 of 7

Thanks Dave.

I yanked my Antivirus software and installed AVG. That greatly reduced things, my CPU is quite low now and memory is usually under 65-70%. I don't recommend Avira to anyone, what a hog! It was running a ton of processes everywhere, including my web browser.  Defender was never running because it auto disables once you install a third party AV app.

Slowly improving things, hopefully I wont need to sell this off after all!

Appreciate the help.

Dan

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors