Options

62 Posts

12-11-2018

US

366 Signins

2327 Page Views

• Views: 2327
  • Message 1 of 7

3 month old X1 Extreme with 'Single fan error' - Repair required? 'Carry in' or 'send in for repair?

2019-03-06, 22:07 PM

I bought a brand new X1 Extreme directly from Lenovo, delivered a few months ago (Dec 2018).

I initially got a 'single fan error' very rarely.

A few days ago I updated the Thermal driver and, perhaps coincidentally, started getting single fan error on every restart. :(

I did a system restore, but not sure it rolled back the Thermal driver.

Today I updated the BIOS hoping this might somehow help.

Interestingly, the 'single fan error' (which shows up at boot time before Windows loads) happens on every Windows 10 'restart'; however the 'single fan error' does not happen if I perform a Windows 'shutdown' and then start the laptop manually (using power button).

Given it is not consistent is this always a hardware issue or could it be some type of driver / setting issue?

Is there an easy way to check the dual fan operation is working, using system info or another utility / app?

I don't want to have to send the whle laptop in for repair if not a hardware issue and I use my laptop daily. If it does turn out to be a hardware issue, can Lenovo send a new fan so i can install it myself?

Options

62 Posts

12-11-2018

US

366 Signins

2327 Page Views

• Message 2 of 7

Re: X1 Extreme 'Single fan error' -used to happen rarely; now after every restart but not after shut

2019-03-07, 0:54 AM

edited.  

Options

62 Posts

12-11-2018

US

366 Signins

2327 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

Re: X1 Extreme 'Single fan error' -used to happen rarely; now after every restart but not after shut

2019-03-07, 14:16 PM

I updated everything (latest BIOS and drivers) and 'single fan error' is still occurring, so it appears to be a hardware issue.

I am very disappointed since Lenovo ThinkPad is supposed to be corporate grade and this laptop is only 3 months old! Never had a fan go bad on a computer (desktop or laptop), let alone one that is only 3 months old.

Guess I need to send my laptop in for repair, unless there is a local service provider I can take it to for the fan repair / replacement? Any recommendations on best option to handle this?

Based on others' experiences here, what is the approximate repair turnaround time for something like a fan replacement / fan repair?

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/contactus

Thanks for any guidance!

Options

62 Posts

12-11-2018

US

366 Signins

2327 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2019-03-07, 21:25 PM

Update - I contacted Lenovo support and they are sending me a box to ship my X1 Extreme to them so they can replace the fan.

Just wondering if I can keep the same Service Case # and change it (from shipping it for repair) to bringing it in for repair to a Lenovo Service Partner?

https://lenovo.secure.force.com/bplocator/

Anyone have experience with bringing their Lenovo laptop or desktop in to a depot for repair?

Options

62 Posts

12-11-2018

US

366 Signins

2327 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2019-03-08, 6:44 AM

Just got home  and used a can of compressed air to carefully blow out both fan areas with the laptop closed (and powered off).

I have rebooted using 'restart' and also used 'shutdown' and powered my X1 Extreme on; performed both several times and have not encountered the 'single fan error' even once. 

I will monitor it over the weekend before deciding whether to send it in.

Recap:

• The fan error used to happen once or at most twice a month.
  • Then 3 days ago it started happening pretty consistently.
  • Tonight I blew out both fans with compressed air and have not had the 'single fan error' happen since.\

I will wait a few days to confirm if the problem might be / is actually resolved...

Options

19 Posts

01-08-2019

US

21 Signins

313 Page Views

• Views: 313
  • Message 6 of 7

2019-03-08, 23:06 PM

In case you're wondering, shipping it for repair is usually quite good and they always ship overnight, so you're usually out of a device for only a couple days. Never taken it in to a place. I got 'upgraded' to on-site repair, and while it was nice to not be completely missing my computer for a few days, it actually ended up taking way longer since it was tough to schedule a time for me to be home between 9-5 due to work, and a couple times I was told they would come and the person didn't even show up. I would definitelysay to not worry about shipping it if you don't mind not having a couple for a few days

Options

62 Posts

12-11-2018

US

366 Signins

2327 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2019-03-08, 23:52 PM

wrote:

In case you're wondering, shipping it for repair is usually quite good and they always ship overnight, so you're usually out of a device for only a couple days. Never taken it in to a place. I got 'upgraded' to on-site repair, and while it was nice to not be completely missing my computer for a few days, it actually ended up taking way longer since it was tough to schedule a time for me to be home between 9-5 due to work, and a couple times I was told they would come and the person didn't even show up. I would definitelysay to not worry about shipping it if you don't mind not having a couple for a few days

Thanks a lot for the insights. I received the empty Lenovo box in less than 24 hours from my support chat requesting the fan to be replaced!

Ironically, as noted above, the fan has actually been working last night and today. That being said, I have not used my X1 Extreme much today (was using another laptop to work from home today). I will use it tonight and tomorrow morning and be sure to do a number of restarts and also a number of full shutdowns followed by a power on to see if the fan continues to work reliably (and check for any odd fan noises).

I may still send it in for fan replacement though to be safe since I had sporadically (very rarely gotten the fan error a while ago) before it started happenning constantly a few days ago.

Wonder how long my support case stays open? If it is a while, I may keep the box and wait several weeks or even a few months and then send it in the first time it starts again.

I did not see any dust build up so I would be surprised if the compressed air solved it. I almost wonder if it is BIOS or driver related, but then more users would be complaining...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete