Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
socrates
Paper Tape
Views: 1,242
Message 1 of 5

3 questions about X1 Carbon downgrade to windows 7

hi, i have a new x1 carbon with w8 pro, and was thinking of doing a downgrade to w7pro. I have not done this sort of thing before.

1. Does one of the two OSs need more RAM? The laptop has 4gb, not 8, so that is a consideration.

2. Is it possible to use a recovery disk from an almost identical x1 carbon with w7pro to do the installation? (i realize at some point i will need the activation code form the machine to be downgraded.)

3. If that would work, would that mean that drivers could be installed more easily? Or is there some other way to do this with the drivers as a group from the other laptop?

i'd be grateful for any pointers. thanks.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,228
Message 2 of 5

Re: 3 questions about X1 Carbon downgrade to windows 7

1. The X1 Carbon you have should run fine with both the Win 8 Pro and Win 7 Pro. For me the Win 8 Pro was using about the same amount of ram with the Win 7 Pro.

2. Yes. You won't need activation code if you are using the X1C recovery disc.

3. Most of the drivers for the X1C are the same between models, differences between models are minors.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
socrates
Paper Tape
Views: 1,195
Message 3 of 5

Thank you! Just to make sure I understand, I was thinking of the fact that for a downgrade, normally an original w7pro dvd is required. So is it true that as long as i have a recovery disc from a (more or less) identical laptop, i do not need an original w7pro dvd?

thanks again

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,188
Message 4 of 5

identical laptop as in X1 Carbon laptops. Alternatively you can just get generic windows 7 pro iso and then install the OS that way, and you can activate it by calling Microsoft.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
socrates
Paper Tape
Views: 1,156
Message 5 of 5

yeah, i'm just worried about having to deal with all the driver installation issues, since i have never done a clean install before.

thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors