cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JNerdy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,729
Message 1 of 24

3rd Gen Yoga X1 now available: But no WWAN Option?

So the X1 3rd gen is now availble in the US.  The description talks about optional LTE-A connectivity.  However, the specs...even all the way up to HDR 1tb 16gb unit only talk about WLAN AC and BT connectivity.

Can anyone confirm if the LTE-A chips are on ANY of the 3rd Gens?  

Ready to pull the trigger, but, LTE-A is a must for travel purposes.

Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,691
Message 2 of 24

Re: 3rd Gen Yoga X1 now available: But no WWAN Option?

Welcome to the Community

WWAN modem (Fibocom L850-GL) and WWAN antennas kit are optional parts in this laptop. To make sure the MTM is needed..

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g  |  x220 • hdd, msata ssd, 3g, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
x1c Gen3 (2015) • WQHD MT IPS, PCIe ssd
Miix 2 10"  |  Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android 5.0), BKC800 BT Keyboard, FolioCase
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 wireless router, hdd 1 TB, BT speaker, power bank

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,667
Message 3 of 24

Looking at the PSREF, none of the models being sold yet have the option.

http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Think_Tablets_and_Convertibles/ThinkPad_X1_Yoga_3rd_Gen?MT=20LE

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
JNerdy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,658
Message 4 of 24

Will antenna channels already exist in the shell, making it easy to install the part after the fact?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,651
Message 5 of 24

Richard,

I think this is because of Fibocom L850-GL modem is very new. It's still absent on the Fibocom site, the only one news mentions that. Plus certification, manufacturing of enough batch...

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g  |  x220 • hdd, msata ssd, 3g, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
x1c Gen3 (2015) • WQHD MT IPS, PCIe ssd
Miix 2 10"  |  Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android 5.0), BKC800 BT Keyboard, FolioCase
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 wireless router, hdd 1 TB, BT speaker, power bank

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

JNerdy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,647
Message 6 of 24

So one also pointed out the upcoming Chinese New Year, which may affect production capacity.

How difficult are the modems to add after the fact?  If the m.2 slots are relatively accessible, and antennas can be run in the base (I wouldn't want to play with the hinge).  Maybe an after the fact mod is the way to go.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,636
Message 7 of 24

Others already in this thread are better able to address your specific questions, but in the meantime the HMM may give you an idea what you'd be up against:

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/tp_x1yoga_hmm_en.pdf

Normally if the WWAN antennas are already present in a specific laptop model it will be listed in the PSREF as WWAN upgradeable.  WWAN no means no antennas present.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

drcnyc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,623
Message 8 of 24

It looks to me like the HMM has the answer. The models with the IR camera are showing wifi antennas only, while the non IR camera models are showing both LTE and wifi antennas (and four antenna connectors in total, two of which would be required for the LTE card). The HMM shows the LTE antennas as being standard issue with the non IR model, irrespective of whether an LTE card is included - ie they are not showing the LTE antennas as optional. Perhaps someone with more experience with HMM’s can verify. 

JNerdy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,573
Message 9 of 24

Based on my reading, you are correct.

The Infrared models have a single WLAN antenna kit, while the think shutter skus have both the WLAN & WWAN antenna kits.

It is also referring to the WWAN as a optional CRU, as opposed to factory serviceable only.  Seems fairly straight forward:

- open base panel

- remove shielding

- slot card (m.2) and screw down

- attach pre-run antenna nodes

- replace shielding

- replace shielding

- close base

I too would love someone with a little more experience or confidence, to confirm these findings.

Thanks

drcnyc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,390
Message 10 of 24

Sorry to report that my X1 yoga 3rd gen arrived, and alas no WWAN antenna.  I bought the highest of the three configurations, which has the camera shutter (and therefore should have had the WWAN antennas).  I opened it up and looked pretty closely in there, but here's hoping someone else will find them hidden away somewhere.....

Top Kudoed Authors