Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

19 Posts

04-16-2021

Canada

5 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 1 of 14

6th Gen X1 Carbon - Not Turning On - Never Buying Lenovo Again!

2021-04-16, 15:30 PM

I bought a 6th generation X1 Carbon in December 2018. My first Lenovo laptop. 

It stopped turning on a month ago. 

When I push the power button, the power light blinks three times but the computer remains off. 

The charge light turns on when the adaptor is plugged in. 

I have tried pushing the power button for 30 seconds. 

I have tried pushing the reset button. 

I have tried removing the battery.

Nothing works. From my research online, it seems like this is a common problem that is sometimes solved by hitting the reset button. Did not work for me. 

A two year old high-end laptop just becoming useless overnight? This is ridiculous. 

I hope others can learn from my experience. If this issue cannot be fixed, I am never buying Lenovo again.

Options

2619 Posts

04-17-2014

United States of America

3539 Signins

43920 Page Views

• Views: 43920
  • Message 2 of 14

Re:6th Gen X1 Carbon - Not Turning On - Never Buying Lenovo Again!

2021-04-16, 15:53 PM

Hi there,

Saw your reply on my post... sorry to hear your laptop isn't working.

I recommend trying to remove the battery first then holding the power button for 30 seconds to drain the residual power.  After that, connect the battery and try turning it on again. 

Here's a video from Lenovo you might find useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87c6M9ZRtu0

Typically, issues like these are related to the battery so you might be dealing with a dead battery.  I recommend contacting Lenovo support if you still can't get the laptop up and running to see what repair options are available.  They have support chat at https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/contactus and phone support at 1-855-253-6686 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate. I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Please do not PM me for individual requests... please post to the forums instead :)

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!

Communities:    Moto English     English     Deutsche     Español     Portugues     Русскоязычное     Česká     Slovenská     Українська   

Options

19 Posts

04-16-2021

Canada

5 Signins

120 Page Views

• Message 3 of 14

2021-04-18, 17:27 PM

Thank you for your response.

I have already watched the video. I have also removed the battery/pushed the power button for 30 seconds, etc. Nothing works.

The laptop is two years old. It should not break down like this and require replacement parts especially considering its one of Lenovo's higher end laptops.

Options

19 Posts

04-16-2021

Canada

5 Signins

120 Page Views

• Message 4 of 14

2021-04-18, 18:05 PM

Just wanted to share an update in case someone considering buying a Lenovo Laptop sees this post.

After trying all the available solutions online, I called customer service. 

They requested a serial number. Apparently, the serial number was not printed on my machine and the machine needs to be turned on to check the number. They indicated they were unable to help me without a serial number.  

Their solution was to wait until COVID restrictions end and go to a service center. I cannot wait because I need this laptop for work. 

I asked them to help me over the phone or guide me to check for the serial number (maybe I was overlooking it). But the rep said that we had checked the normal places. He suggested he transfer me to someone else to help - he then transferred me to Microsoft. 

Not a Microsoft help line or a specific person. But literally to the Microsoft general phone number. Their call prompt that asked if I was calling about Microsoft 365.  

Its ridiculous. Let this be a lesson for anyone else reading this. Do not buy Lenovo.

Options

7230 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29296 Signins

1678813 Page Views

• Views: 1678813
  • Message 5 of 14

2021-04-19, 17:10 PM

@ wolverine018 wrote:

...snip...

They requested a serial number. Apparently, the serial number was not printed on my machine and the machine needs to be turned on to check the number. They indicated they were unable to help me without a serial number.  

...snip...

So for clarity, there is no black and white label on the underside of your X1C6?

In my twenty-three years of ThinkPad experience, every one has this type of label on the underside, with the exception of several where the same type of label was in the removable battery bay, or under the kickstand (some X1 Tablets).

Regards.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

144 Posts

06-17-2015

Hong Kong S.A.R of China

176 Signins

1887 Page Views

• Views: 1887
  • Message 6 of 14

2021-04-19, 19:34 PM

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your X1C6 (X1 Carbon Gen 6) laptop, needing repairs.

Long shot here:

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-carbon-6th-gen-type-20kh-20kg/downloads/driver-list/component?name=BIOS%2FUEFI

~Use another computer to download and burn a bootable DVD for your X1C6, and use your X1C6 to boot from this (assuming you do have an external DVD reader/writer).

~In the older days, the bootable DVD BIOS/UEFI update utility gives you 2 choices, one of which is "Change Serial Number" and shows your current computer's Serial Number.

That's assuming a lot of things, including that your computer boots up at all.

Good luck!

Daily Driver: X1 Extreme Gen 3 (X1E-3) | WWAN (mobile broadband)
X1E-3, X1E-1, X1C-9, X1C-4, X1C-3, X230
Retired Thinkpads: X250, T410, T42, 560 (circa 1996)
Also: IBM Thinkpad era computer bag !
Options

19 Posts

04-16-2021

Canada

5 Signins

120 Page Views

• Message 7 of 14

2021-04-23, 20:35 PM

I am surprised you have stuck around with Lenovo for 23 years. After having done considerable research, I have learned the power issue is common and some people experience it within months of purchasing their $2k+ laptops. Not acceptable at all and Lenovo should provide extended warranties for this problem.There is no label on the back of my computer and serial number is not engraved on the machine. I will take a photo and post it this weekend.

Options

19 Posts

04-16-2021

Canada

5 Signins

120 Page Views

• Message 8 of 14

2021-04-23, 20:37 PM

Thank you for the message. Unfortunately, the computer does not boot. That is the issue I have been trying to resolve.

Options

7230 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29296 Signins

1678813 Page Views

• Views: 1678813
  • Message 9 of 14

2021-04-23, 21:32 PM

@ wolverine018 wrote:

I am surprised you have stuck around with Lenovo for 23 years. After having done considerable research, I have learned the power issue is common and some people experience it within months of purchasing their $2k+ laptops. Not acceptable at all and Lenovo should provide extended warranties for this problem.There is no label on the back of my computer and serial number is not engraved on the machine. I will take a photo and post it this weekend.

No need to be surprised...

In my 23+ years of IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad ownership, and corporate issuance/usage, I have never had one with the kind of problem being discussed. Not saying your sample machine does not have issues, but, considering the length and breadth of my ThinkPad history, I would presume that I would have seen the issue, at least once, if it is actually "common".

Just for reference, here is a list of the ThinkPads I have owned/used/supported over the years: 380XD, 600X, T22, T23, T30, A31p, T40, T42, T43, T43p, R51, T60, T60p, T61p, X61t, X200t, X300, X301, T400, T410, T510, T420, T520, X220, X230, Helix g1, X1 Tablet g2, X1 Tablet g3, X1 Carbon g2, X1 Carbon g3, X1 Yoga g4, X1 Carbon g5, X1 Carbon g8, X1 Fold g1, and X1 Nano g1. (Also... all of them are/were equipped with the MTM/SN/Production Date sticker)

Question: Since you mention there is no sticker on your machine, did you buy it new or was it a third-party/used purchase (e.g. could someone else have removed the sticker before it came to you)?

Regards.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

19 Posts

04-16-2021

Canada

5 Signins

120 Page Views

• Message 10 of 14

2021-04-24, 2:59 AM

Seems like a biased review. I am assuming you are receiving some sort of incentive from Lenovo considering there is "no need to be surprised."

In my two short months searching this issue, I have found countless others facing the same problem again and again. Someone posted another forum just last week facing the same issue within months of buying a new machine. Seems like your goal here is not providing users with an unbiased opinion but rather acting as a brand ambassador.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)