Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

03-03-2020

United States of America

8 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 7

7th and 8th Gen X1 Carbon locks upon reboot when connected to ultrawide monitor

2021-03-11, 14:32 PM

I have an 8th Gen X1 Carbon but this issue existed on my 7th Gen as well (before support for UW monitors was taken away for that generation).  My X1 lives connected via USB-C to a Dell U4919DW Ultrawide monitor and a wireless keyboard and mouse with the lid closed.  It works flawlessly in this configuration and has proven to be the ultimate travel/office work setup for me.  With one exception. 

Every time the X1 is rebooted, whether cold-booted from a fully off state or rebooted from Windows 10, it gets to the background/password lock screen and then freezes with a few rows of short evenly-spaced black lines running from top to bottom about an inch apart.  At that point the machine is fully non-responsive and must be rebooted by holding the power button down for ten (?) seconds or so.  While frozen the machine appears to be in some sort of high-use state as the cooling fans are running at a high level.  The key to booting successfully is that the monitor/lid must be up.  In that position it mirrors a skinny, useless version of the 49" screen on the native laptop screen, but for some reason survives the boot.  Once the OS has reached the password screen, I am able to close the lid and operate normally.

This problem raises its head after every Windows update reboot, and often results in the machine whirring away in some high-use state for hours overnight.

I realize this is a relatively uncommon setup, but am curious if anyone else has encountered this issue or can suggest solutions.  I raised the issue with Lenovo premier support some time ago and never got a solution.

Thank you.

Options

3217 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

256 Signins

16275 Page Views

• Views: 16275
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:7th and 8th Gen X1 Carbon locks upon reboot when connected to ultrawide monitor

2021-03-11, 14:53 PM

Hello Denver88C,

Greetings

Was it an upgrade with Windows that recently happened before this issue started? 
Initially best to run sfc scannow and chkdsk to check system Windows file integrity.
Try also to check for update and apply to observe more and likewise see how fellow members if they share the same concerns.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

8 Posts

03-03-2020

United States of America

8 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

Re:7th and 8th Gen X1 Carbon locks upon reboot when connected to ultrawide monitor

2021-03-11, 16:56 PM

Lorenzo,

Thank you for your assistance.  I just tried both of these steps and it did not resolve the issue.   To be clear, this has been an issue on my Gen 8 since it was brand new, and was an issue on the Gen 7 before that.  I believe this to be a driver/compatibility issue rather than a corrupt or mis-installed file.  I should add that both computers are and were always kept up-to-date with Lenovo, driver, and Windows updates.

Thanks.

Options

3217 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

256 Signins

16275 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2021-03-31, 17:50 PM

Hello Denver88C,

This may need further investigation so it can be forwarded to the tech support team for them to proceed specially if you have the same BIOS and drivers version available in the support site. 

Kindly provide the BIOS version for the affected machines.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

8 Posts

03-03-2020

United States of America

8 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2021-03-31, 18:11 PM

Thank you for following up on this Lorenzo.  I am using BIOS 1.16 and the Lenovo update says my system is fully up to date for drivers.  

Options

3217 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

256 Signins

16275 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2021-04-19, 18:02 PM

Hello

Kindly try changing the boot display thru BIOS. You should see it under Config Menu

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Options

8 Posts

03-03-2020

United States of America

8 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2021-06-08, 15:05 PM

Lorenzo,

Thank you for the continued help.  This BIOS setting has two possibilities, boot with external monitor and boot with LCD.  Boot with external monitor was selected.  I changed it to Boot with LCD but there is no apparent change--the computer still locks when booted with the LCD closed and external monitor attached.  Please let me know if you have additional suggestions.  Thanks!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms