cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TonyLoo
Paper Tape
Views: 530
Message 1 of 4

A Full time Mechanical Design Engineer having an axiety of purchasing thinkpad x1 extreme

Hi all, 

on previous days of researching, i was very interested in purchasing x1 extreme.

As i do need to run solidworks ans NX unigraphics for my full time jobs and as well as my freelance job.

but during the weekend i do play some decent games to relax myself. So i found thinkpad extreme to be very suitable for me.

HOWEVER, when looking at people complaining in the forums and some user who posted thier problems in youtube, i hasitate to purchase this machine.

I am well aware of x1 extreme release on last year. I hope to get a genuine opinion from x1 extreme user.....

Is the product stable now? is the laptop save to purchase now? Would you still recommend me to purchase this laptop? Is the hardware and software flaws really that terrible? Please describe your experience with it..  if not i would find another alternative (if you have recommendations on that, please point it out for me.)

Many thanks

Amit_Shan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 512
Message 2 of 4

Re: A Full time Mechanical Design Engineer having an axiety of purchasing thinkpad x1 extreme

As much as I hate to say it, there are a lot of issues with the device. I reinstalled Windows and some of the issues went away only for new issues, albeit minor, to crop up. The performance of the hybrid graphics is terrible. I had to disable iGPU and go purely dGPU. My battery life was not happy at all. There is no custom fan curve and this leads to really weird automated fan speed behavior with it going up and then going down and up and down all in the span of 2 minutes. The BIOS settings are so poorly endowed. I was not happy when I saw how limited the BIOS settings were. The trackpad is using some kind of hybrid synaptics and Windows precision. I am not sure of the specifics. Don't take my word on that. But, I will say that the trackpad is a step down from other ones I have used, especially the one on my Dell XPS 13. Also, the brightness control does not work if I close the lid and open it again after a while. Not sure who the fault lies with in this particular regard, Windows, or Lenovo.

Darthvader-
Fanfold Paper
Views: 462
Message 3 of 4

Re: A Full time Mechanical Design Engineer having an axiety of purchasing thinkpad x1 extreme

First thing  i want to point out, is the majority of people posting on Lenovo's support forum is asking for support, i.e., problems.  This may skew your perspective because all you see is posts from frustrated and/or angry people and I totally understand their frustration.  What this forum doesn't show you is the people who love their laptops and have zero problems.

I don't know if its within the rules, but if you check out the thinkpad reddit page, you'll see people waxing poetically about their thinkpads including the X1E.  https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/

I've owned my thinkpad for a few months now, and its one of the best laptops I've ever owned.  I really don't post here much, mostly because I 've had zero problems.

The 4k screen is gorgeous, the keyboard is the best in the industry, its fast, the laptop doesn't run too hot.  The speakers are not that great, that's probably one item that Lenovo could improve on for the next generation.

I have zero regrets with this machine, and I've known a number of people who've bouight the X1E and have had no problems whatssoever 

I highly recommend this machine, its solid, built like a tank, great quality, and excellent performance.

Amit_Shan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 450
Message 4 of 4

Yeah. I kind of agree. I should have mentioned the positives. So, let's go. The machine is really fast, obviosuly. The presence of a dGPU is a bonus and helps playing any game, albeit at low setting. The display............ Wow. The display is really good, if a little low on the brightness. The Dolby Atmos audio works well when the content is optimized for it. The keyboard is THE best in class. The wifi and bluetooth is also best in class. The range on the network card is unbelievable. I guess the point then is, every machine will have drawbacks. So, the question is. what are you willing to lose in order to gain something esle?

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors