cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xugao1988
Paper Tape
Views: 172
Message 1 of 7

A dead pixel is not included in the warranty?

Hi All, 

I have a x1 2018 version bought last November. I have taken care of it very well, but I just found a dead pixel on the screen last week. I made the call to the service and sent it to them. But they just called me and told me the repair is not covered by the warranty because they determined that the damage was made by the customer (CID). The cost of repair is more than $300. My x1 has a 3-year limited warranty.

Here, I wanna ask for the community or anyone that may meet a similar situation before. How did they believe that the damage is made by me but not a problem of their own product? I am a Thinkpad lover of more than 10 years and it is the first time they refuse to fix a screen and said it is my problem. 

Thanks all. I attached the pic of the dead pixel here for your reference. Do you guys believe that such a tiny dead pixel can be made by a big guy?

a63af98785a3ca7ef88e9f8b7db45f4.jpg

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 161
Message 2 of 7

Re: A dead pixel is not included in the warranty?

Often, a dead pixel is considered "normal", but the decision is subjective, based on how noticeable it is.  You can get a 2nd opinion.  For subjective screen issues (dead or  hot pixels, too dim, etc.), I always carry the machine into a repair facility, preferably a Premier Dealer, who does warranty work.  I say that I only want to do the repair if it is covered.  I ask them to look at it with me, so we are looking at the same thing.  If the dealer decides it isn't covered, he doesn't get paid.  At the depot, if the guy decides it is covered, it simply means more work for him.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
xugao1988
Paper Tape
Views: 135
Message 3 of 7

Hi.  Thanks a lot.  If I understand it correctly, you mean going to the service center in person may have higher possibility to get a free repair? Because people there will get paid by the number of repair? 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 114
Message 4 of 7

Yes.  Also, it is easier to discuss the problem if both of you are looking at the same thing.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
xugao1988
Paper Tape
Views: 105
Message 5 of 7

Very appreciated!  I will take a try after getting my x1 back! 

Guru
Views: 89
Message 6 of 7

If the "stuck" pixel was on the panel when the system was new, it still would not be covered under warranty because there is a tolerance of 2 or less pixels (could be as much as 5) on the panels. Of course, there is the subjective issue of where the pixel is located, but usually it's because it is dead center in the panel. I don't believe that you could possibly cause a pixel to be stuck "on" so the service center was probably wrong in this regard unless there was physical damage to the screen. There are some programs that sometimes can unstick a stuck pixel, but they are not alway reliable. If the $300 for the panel replacement is less than 50% of a new system, then I would proceed with the repair. Just my two cents here.

P53 XEON 2276 BIOS 1.18 OLED UHD 4K Multi-touch display, 96GB RAM, RTX5000, RAID 1, 1TB x 2 Samsung PM981, 1TB PM981, WWAN
P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.32, 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.25,Xeon Processor, 4k UHD IPS multi-touch display, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1

I am not an employee nor an agent of Lenovo.
xugao1988
Paper Tape
Views: 57
Message 7 of 7

Thx! I have declined the repair and would like to see whether I can fix it by software or local service center. Regardless, I cannot say this is a very pleasant experience with Lenovo. Very appreciated the help from the community.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors