Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michaeleon97
Blue Screen Again
Views: 972
Message 1 of 5

A question about em7455,antenna and more

I got my x1carbon 5th gen couple weeks ago, and play it around for sometime i realize that a 4g module could be installed.

After searching, i ordered a em7455 lte module and installed it. But i can get the gps works.

I do installed the latest drivers&firmware from sierra site,and"Sierra Wireless Location Sensor"do appear in device manager.But i couldn`t get a fix in maps,or in sierra`s skylight.So what`s wrong?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 968
Message 2 of 5

Re: A question about em7455,antenna and more

Welcome to the Community

Location applications might need NMEA port if they (usually, legacy applications) can't work with sensor. Default modem' configuration doesn't provide such port. Check out the applictions settings.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

michaeleon97
Blue Screen Again
Views: 938
Message 3 of 5

thanks,it`s glad to be a thinkpad owner

i know that apps like google earth do need a nmea port and this modem only provide gnss(which i see some tutorial for how to convert). But i also find that many people can get a fix with built-in win10 maps app without convertion. I was guessing maybe there is something worng with the 4g unit itself.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 929
Message 4 of 5

em7455 features concurent GPS, GLONASS, Galileo and BeiDou systems, their functionality depends on the firmware and connector (i.e.receiver input).

win10 location service uses the sensor, not NMEA port. Most legacy and complicated location applications use the NMEA port and, rarely, some of them, sensor. In order to get a satellite fix for the first time you have to wait 10..20...30 minuts, depending on the sky visibility from the laptop location. This time is needed to download the sattelite almanac.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

michaeleon97
Blue Screen Again
Views: 916
Message 5 of 5

problem solved, i didn`t connect the aux connector securely, after making sure everything is ok, now i can finally get a fix(acturally it takes me up to 24 minutes for the first fix).

anyway thank you for the suggestions

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors