05-12-2019

DK

6 Signins

74 Page Views

• Views: 74
  • Message 1 of 3

A warning for X1C6 Linux users: Don't upgrade ME firmware to 11.8.65.3590

2019-05-12, 17:27 PM

A warning for X1C6 users on Linux. With the latest Intel Management Engine Firmware update, versioned 11.8.65.3590, S3 sleep is broken. The system will drain a fully charged battery in a matter of hours under the new firmware, and it is impossible to downgrade the firmware. This is with the "Linux" sleep state option enabled in BIOS, and everything was working correctly before the upgrade.

Lenovo, please address this issue and ensure proper QA for your Linux user base going forward - this is unacceptable.

Options

734 Posts

04-23-2019

US

423 Signins

13382 Page Views

• Views: 13382
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:

2019-05-15, 16:30 PM

Hi logandk, Thanks for bringing this to our concern. We would like to confirm have you tried if the Sleep options are all functional on Windows? Because the current Intel ME driver is tried and tested only on Windows 10.

We would also want you to send a report in regards to the error that this update has caused to your Linux system. Please visit the link below then click the Feedback option at the lower right corner of the screen:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-X1-CARBON-6TH-GEN-TYPE-20KH-20KG/downloads/DS502325

Let us know if you have any questions. Thanks

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

4 Posts

05-12-2019

DK

6 Signins

74 Page Views

• Views: 74
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Re:

2019-05-15, 20:00 PM

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your response. Yes, sleep works on Windows with the latest ME driver.

On Linux, the driver is part of the kernel (ec). After the firmware update, the controller keeps sending events while the S3 sleep state is active, causing the machine to wake up once every minute.

For now, I have solved the issue by taking the following steps. I am leaving them here to help other users.

/etc/default/grub:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi.ec_freeze_events=Y acpi.ec_no_wakeup=Y"
/etc/systemd/system/acpi-wake.service:

[Unit]
Description=ACPI Wake Service

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/bin/sh -c "for i in $(cat /proc/acpi/wakeup|grep enabled|awk '{print $1}'|xargs); do [ $i != PBTN ] && echo $i|tee /proc/acpi/wakeup;done"

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

To enable the service

$ systemctl enable acpi-wake.service
/etc/systemd/system/powertop.service:

[Unit]
Description=PowerTOP auto tune

[Service]
Type=idle
Environment="TERM=dumb"
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/powertop --auto-tune

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

To enable the service

$ systemctl enable powertop.service

This disables the use of keyboard, mouse or lid to wake the computer, only the power button will wake it up.

I think that Lenovo has an opportunity with developers and expert users, by being a well-supported platform for running Linux while Apple is making big mistakes on the MBP line-up. Please keep this in mind and don't let us, that have converted, down :)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete