Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

11-28-2020

Belgium

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 4

AC power check and BIOS & firmware update

2020-11-28, 22:23 PM

Dear all,
I’d like to apply BOIS and firmware updates to my ThinkPad X1 Yoga (3rd gen).  However, it seems there’s a hardware failure, and it indicates my ThinkPad is not connected to AC power, while it is in fact connected to AC power.  Consequently, Lenovo Vantage (or precisely each of BIOS and firmware updates) refuses to update, claiming “I’m not connected to AC.”  It’s been like this for about 2 to 3 months, and I have two firmware & 1 BIOS update yet to be applied.
My question is: are there any ways to circumvent the AC power check (like "force" option), so that I can apply BIOS and firmware updates?
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and reply to my question.

Options

20 Posts

11-18-2019

China

23 Signins

182 Page Views

• Views: 182
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:AC power check and BIOS & firmware update

2020-12-09, 9:18 AM

sorry for the inconvenience take to you.

can you tell me your machine type? Vpro or Non-Vpro?

If you don't know how to distinguish them? you can tell me your current Bios version.

I will try to reproduce your problem and solve it.

Options

2 Posts

11-28-2020

Belgium

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-12-10, 0:14 AM

Thank you soulmate1 for your response.  I was about to give up on this.

Here’s the detailed information:

• ThinkPad X1 Yoga 3rd
  • Product model: 20LECTO1WW (I guess it’s the 2018 model)
  • Vpro or Non-Vpro: I do not know, but I guess you can find out from the product model number, I imagine?
  • Current BIOS version: N25ET54W 1.40

Until 2 to 3 months ago, AC charging and battery worked fine.  However, at some point 2 - 3 months ago, my ThinkPad began not to charge the battery.

The power supply from the AC power plug is properly functioning, and I use my laptop always connected to the AC power plug (which means the battery is dying but only gradually and slowly, as a result of natural discharging).

Looking from Windows 10/OS, it indicates that my ThinkPad is not connected to the AC power plug, even though it is in fact connected to an AC power plug (otherwise the battery will die within a day or two, and I won’t be able to use it/post here).

The problem I’m facing is, because OS thinks it’s not connected to the AC power plug, I cannot apply BIOS and firmware updates (they warn you to firmly connect to the power plug).

My questions would be: How can I apply BIOS and firmware updates?  Are there any ways to “force” to apply updates even if OS thinks it’s not connected to the AC power plug?  Alternatively, are there any ways to fix the situation?

Options

20 Posts

11-18-2019

China

23 Signins

182 Page Views

• Views: 182
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-12-17, 9:20 AM

I consulted our engineer, when upgrading the BIOS and FW, if the battery is low, the computer will crash, so the power must be detected. you can try to uninstall and reinstall the driver related to the power supply, if still can't fix this problem, you may need to repair the computer. thanks.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms