Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

05-11-2019

United States of America

9 Signins

89 Page Views

• Views: 89
  • Message 1 of 7

Accessory suggestion: Fn & Ctrl key set for swapped configuration.

2019-05-12, 13:51 PM

I'm very happy to have an option on my 6th Gen x1 carbon to swap Fn and Ctrl keys, but I wish to avoid the confusion with Fn key now being labeled as Ctrl and Ctrl key being labeled as Fn. Can these two keys be swapped out with a new set that would be correctly labeled for the swapped configuration?

Thanks,

Gene

Options

434 Posts

08-02-2018

United States of America

388 Signins

1696 Page Views

• Views: 1696
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Accessory suggestion: Fn & Ctrl key set for swapped configuration.

2019-05-13, 5:52 AM

Hi there, ThinkPoint! 

Welcome to the Lenovo forum discussion! 

You may need to use a 3rd party software or application to re-map the keyboard layout of the ThinkPan X1 Carbon - 6th Gen. 

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

5 Posts

05-11-2019

United States of America

9 Signins

89 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2019-05-14, 1:50 AM

I was talking about functionality already built into lenovo

For all those who are using this feature, it would be nice to be able to have their keyboard physically show the change.

Options

6 Posts

05-29-2019

United States of America

2 Signins

63 Page Views

• Views: 63
  • Message 4 of 7

2019-05-29, 13:13 PM

@ChrisE_Lenovo

It is ridiculous that an official "Social Support Agent" has no idea of the BIOS Fn Ctrl swap for Thinkpads. It shows how out of touch the team is to the concerns of the user base. This problem of physical layout, even after the BIOS swap, has plagued many users already.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Manifesto-on-Fn-Ctrl-key-placement/m-p/4425684

Yes a Fn & Ctrl key set for swapped configuration is definitely necessary. It helps for people who already bought machines with this weird layout.

However moving forward, the option to provide the correct layout of Ctrl then Fn should be made available for consumers during the customization page in the first place.

Options

5 Posts

05-11-2019

United States of America

9 Signins

89 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2019-05-29, 16:08 PM

To be frank, I would also be happy with ability to map Fn + key to corresponding Ctrl + key combination

Just look at this beautiful (unused) row of Fn + C, V, X and Z keys. Right now they don't do anything, but if they allowed me to copy, paste, cut and undo. I would not even need to swap the keys for 99% of my needs.

Lenovo: Can we get a way to define our own Fn + key combination to do things like copy, paste, etc...

Options

19 Posts

01-09-2018

Switzerland

41 Signins

513 Page Views

• Views: 513
  • Message 6 of 7

2019-05-30, 22:09 PM

I have an issue that is somewhat related. I am an ex-Apple user, therefore I am perfectly happy with the "Fn" placement in the lower left corner, since that is the layout that I used for the past 12 years or so. However, some "Fn" combinations that are common on MacBooks cannot be emulated on the X1E or X1C. I took the time to write a technical explanation of the reasons, at least according to my understanding, here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Thinkpad-X1-Extreme-Fn-key-and-Keyboard-Firmware/m-p/4441644/highlight/true#M100219

It may be of help to understand the context, and the reasons why mapping arbitrary "Fn" combinations may not be feasible on the current architecture (even though adding selected few ones may be done, and my vote would be for "Fn+up"/"Fn+down" as "PgUp"/"PgDown".)

Options

3 Posts

09-19-2019

United States of America

1 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 7 of 7

2019-09-19, 5:43 AM

That's very insightful, thanks for the knowledge!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms