Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tjsop
Punch Card
Views: 1,408
Message 1 of 6

Adaptive keyboard evolution

HI,

I am a SAP developer ( ABAP / BSP ) and i need two very critical evolutions on the adaptive keyboard or i ll be forced to return the laptop because i cant work in these conditions... I am sad because except these two points i really love it...

First, when i am in debug mode my vital functions are F5 F6 F7 F8, the problem is when i finish my debug the result is a web page so the Adaptive keyboard changes to web mode but when i return to my editor the adaptive keyboard stays in web mode because its doesn't recognize SAP as program where FN are needed so i am obliged to press FN after every debug to make FN keys back.. The kind of thing that makes you crazy.. And to avoid to become crazy i desactivated the dynamic adaptive keyboard to make it stays always on FN mode. I totaly lost the attractive side of the adaptive keyboard...

Second, always on debug mode when i let my finger on F6 it press on it continuously so the debug goes on and i dont it want to so i am in the obligation to let my finger above the touch, i cant let my finger rest up on the keyboard.. Very Very tiring situation...

So my questions are : Are you going to let the possibility to configure these two points ? Tell to the adaptive keyboard i want these touchs under this application and do not press continuously on the touch when i let my finger on it ?

Thank you for your respsons.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,372
Message 2 of 6

Re: Adaptive keyboard evolution

For the first problem you can add your SAP EXE as an application that the adaptive keyboard recognizes.  It requires a small change to registry.  The deployment guide at below link tells you how to do it (see bottom of page 10).  Or just tell me the full path to the SAP EXE (e.g. C:\Program Files\someFolder\someProgram.exe) and I will give you a sample .reg file you can import to get the behavior you want.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/adaptive_keyboard_dg_en.pdf

As for the second issue, I know exactly the situation you are describing, as I am also a software developer and spend a lot of time in Visual Studio hovering over F10/F11.  As long as your finger is touching the adaptive panel, then the keyboard will pick that up and trigger the button you are touching.  Let me raise this issue with the keyboard team and see if they have any ideas about a solution.  (But let me just be honest with you, I am not hopeful that the behavior can be changed).

tjsop
Punch Card
Views: 1,342
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for your response.

I hope keyboard team will be able to solve this because sometimes i have to debug more than hour and its impossible to make it with a finger up ..

glennl
Token Ring
Views: 1,317
Message 4 of 6

Even though problem one is solved i will say it again

Add the following to Registry Editor

Create a key Called HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Lenovo\SmartKey\Application\Row\Function\SAP

In that Key, add a DWORD called AppPath with the exact path for the SAP.exe

Here is an example of how i did it for registry editor

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Lenovo\SmartKey\Application\Row\Function\Registry Editor]
"AppPath"="C:\\Windows\\regedit.exe"

To fix problem two, you need to add a delay on that F key

View this thread for how to do it

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thinkpad-edge-x1-x100e-x120e-sl-l/745310-stop-accidentally-hitting-a...

tjsop
Punch Card
Views: 1,299
Message 5 of 6

Thank you for your respsonse but i its not solving my problem.

It puts a delay of one second.. I dont want a delay, i want it works like a real touch.

I put my finger on the touch, it triggers the event only one time at all until i press it again.

The script you provide doesnt do that. It press the touch every one second...that raises others problems : when i want to increase or lower the speed of my debug i cant because its blocked at one second ! And i simply cant look at my code and thinking about it without removing my finger of the key ? Come on ..

So the problem is still there, i cant let my finger rest up on the keyboard... I am forced to remove it from the touch or the debug goes on every one second with your solution...

I ll wait one or two days see an another solution that brings me back the real behavior of a touch or i ll send it back.

Thanks again for yours respons.. If  its not helping me it ll help others i guess..

Highlighted
tjsop
Punch Card
Views: 1,205
Message 6 of 6

In fact you really messed up with this one for developers and whose who work a lot with FN keys because except the problem where you make me move my left arm every 5 second or my debug goes on ( i cant verify my variables without moving my arm, without removing my finger from the key and think about it or the debug goes ???!!!! I can't accept this.. i simply can't )  i have difficulties to move from F5 to F6 or F7 because there is nothing that separate them so you make me move my head to see where i push...

A very very very tiring pc for developers that makes me say that this pc is not for developers at all..

You know what you should have done ? Real OLED key programmable ! That was what you should have done in fact... but you put this thing that ll make everybody crazy...

So i hope you ll recognize this as an inherent defect and you ll refund the buyers.

Thanks a lot.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors