Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kanojo9Ro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 710
Message 1 of 4

Adding more storage space on a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 2nd Gen

My current Lenovo is a refurbished one and has a storage drive of 117GB. I desperately need more and have already gone through external storage drive, and also USB.  Is it possible to add more storage drive space or SSD to this Thinkpad? What is most compatible with it? 

Thank you for your time

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 705
Message 2 of 4

Re: Adding more storage space on a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 2nd Gen

2nd gen means the model number starts with 20A7 or 20A8.  Those drives were all SATA based, so most retail 2280-format SSDs will work (not NVMe).  The biggest drives that were sold with the machine were 512GB, although 1TB and 2TB drives can be found.  The safest thing is to buy one with a Lenovo FRU on it.  Here is the parts list"  (SSDs are at the bottom)

https://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/x1_carbon_gen2_fru_bom_20150616.pdf

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Kanojo9Ro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 651
Message 3 of 4

Thank you so much, I am kind of confused and have some questions. So any of those SSD can work with my Laptop? To find any compatible one would be to look at the FRU numbers to related ones of what I am looking for? What does the primary and secondary to some of the SSD? 

Thank you for you time

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 633
Message 4 of 4

I think that primary just means that they are a primary supplier.  In general almost any SATA-based (not NVMe) M.2 SSD in 2280 format (80 mm long) will work.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors