cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
welch_pm
Paper Tape
Views: 1,640
Message 1 of 7

Alternate Drivers for 2014 X1 Carbon GOBI 5000?

I've noticed a couple other threads regarding the GOBI 5000 WWAN card on 2014 X1 Carbon machines, so I know I'm not the only one having issues ... I have two new X1s (both 20A7), one with a Verizon GOBI 5000 and another with an AT&T GOBI 5000. The Verizon card installs fine and works, no issues there. The AT&T card has alternately: not shown up at all in Device Manager, shown up as an "unknown" object, and now after uninstalling the driver, removing the card, rebooting, re-installing the card, etc., the driver package installs successfully, but the card shows up under ports as COM4. The description is correct - system sees it as a "Sierra Wireless EM7355 ...". Naturally, Mobile Broadband Activation doesn't see the card and so won't run.

In another thread someone suggested they were able to get hold of an older driver package that successfully installed; any hope of getting a link? Or better yet, an updated current driver?

welch_pm
Paper Tape
Views: 1,639
Message 2 of 7

Re: Alternate Drivers for 2014 X1 Carbon GOBI 5000?

Sorry, this is Windows 7 64-bit. Haven't tried with Windows 8 ...(and can't as we're standardized on 7).
hsleviant
What's DOS?
Views: 1,572
Message 3 of 7

Sorry for co-opting your question, but I have one for you.  I opened up my X1 to see where the GOBI 5000 card will sit, and i see the two connecting wires with some sort of insulating wrap at the ends. How do they connect to the GOBI card? Do they have snap on type connectors inside those sleves like the wires to the WIFI card? Or does the GOBI 5000 card come with the necessary hardware to terminate the cables and connect them? I'd be grateful to know what I got myself into by ordering the card today.

Thanks for any info.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,563
Message 4 of 7

welch_pm,

follow the page below:
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?DocID=HT081505

It's about Gobi 5000 activation in Verizon Wireless but there is a chance the reason of your issue is the same - it's needed to change some modem internal parameters. Be sure the values of DAFAULTIMAGE is 2, USBCOMP is 14

----------
hsleviant,

wwan antennas wires you've seen inside of laptop already have needed coaxial connectors for the wwan card. Just fit the card and carefully connect the wires.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

welch_pm
Paper Tape
Views: 1,553
Message 5 of 7

Yep, it has snap-on connectors, just like the wifi cards. You need to pull off the little plastic sleeves from the wires to reveal the snaps. The GOBI cards have 3 connection points, but only two are needed (and they're color-coded; hard to see at first but there are little colored triangles on the card itself indicating where to connect each wire).

welch_pm
Paper Tape
Views: 1,550
Message 6 of 7

Thanks for that! After some fiddling around I was able to get the Verizon cards installed and activated correctly on two machines so I'm OK for now. I'm not sure if it was coincidence or just dumb luck, but the key seemed to be installing Windows fresh from scratch with the card installed in the machine. Previously I added the card after Windows was already installed.

I did notice on one of the machines I still had the odd COM4 issue, but Mobile Broadband Activation worked and when it was finished, the card was back under the listing for Network Adapters and I was able to connect. I also didn't need to call Verizon to activate, although my account rep did tell me their system didn't recognize IMEIs. Not sure how he was able to fudge it without IMEI, but both are working now so ...

Thanks again! Hopefully Lenovo will update the released driver soon so other folks won't have quite so much trouble.

hsleviant
What's DOS?
Views: 1,538
Message 7 of 7

Thanks to everyone for feedback on my connector question.  I'll post feedback on the AT&T version of the card when I get it installed. If it works as a device for me, it might help others troubleshoot if they are having problems with the device. If I have the same issue with it not appearing right as a device, it may point strongly to a driver issue.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors