Options

3 Posts

03-15-2017

CA

12 Signins

116 Page Views

• Views: 116
  • Message 1 of 11

Another X1 display problem - black screen post... Hoping to get to root cause!

2017-03-18, 1:45 AM

I just followed these instructions for a problem that my wife was having with a X1 Carbon (4th gen - 20FB) after it took on Lenovo updates a few days ago. Essentially after updating the graphics driver, the screen went blank and the only way to interact with the laptop was thru a HDMI connected screen.  I was able to get the laptop screen back when I switched to the generic Microsoft graphics driver but then you don't have use of the HDMI port.  The solution in the instructions has restored the correct screen functionality including the use of the HDMI port.

On observation, the fix as proposed above had me install an intel 520 graphic driver dated 2015-12-15 version 20.19.15.4352

This hardly seems like a fix or a patch... this appears more to be avoiding a newly introduced problem... I also happen to have an X1 Carbon (4th gen - 20FC) machine which is essentially the same specs (cpu, ram, screen etc.) mostly just a different purchase date. My machine took on Lenovo Updates on the same day my wife's machine did and my machine is happily displaying it's screen using an intel 520 graphics driver dated 2017-01-18 version 21.20.16.4590 (the same driver which is the kiss of death to my wife's screen).

I have next day onsite warranty with the laptop, have placed a service call and I am now holding off the technician until I had an opportunity to try this fix... He is ready to swap out the motherboard on the laptop... Does anyone know if this is a 'bad batch' of Intel 520 chipsets? I've come across a number of very recent, similar complaints related to X1 and X1 Yoga.

If anyone has comments I'd be interested in hearing them, otherwise I'm tempted to go for the motherboard swap even though I hate to open a machine up unless its really necessary.

Thanks - Tim

Options

5 Posts

09-30-2015

United States

7 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 2 of 11

Re: Another X1 display problem - black screen post... Hoping to get to root cause!

2017-03-18, 3:12 AM

Hi,
I did have the same problem and finally today got the time to tackle it. I too fixed mine following that same thread instructions, however my touch ability was gone (While the pen was still working). I ended up having to flash the (n1fgf02w) WacomTouch driver and got it back working... So far looks like everything is back and working.

I too opened a ticket and got a response in 9 different emails all with broken up text that made no sense. trying to dig through the messages, it apears that Lenovo tried to contact me over the phone and had no response from my side (which is weird as I live off my phone so I can not ignore any call). It also look like they want me to ship the computer off to them.

I'm just pitching into this thread looking for more info.

I have factory reset the computer a couple of times, reinstalled Windows. I had disconnected the battery and reseted BIOS, I've installed different drivers and tried to understand why is that newest driver affecting the system (but not every system shows the same problem). I hate to send the device away if I can fix it, but I rather a definite fix than something temporal that will break again the next time.

TLDR; /s LOL

Options

12 Posts

06-13-2016

US

19 Signins

170 Page Views

• Views: 170
  • Message 3 of 11

Re: Another X1 display problem - black screen post... Hoping to get to root cause!

2017-03-22, 0:12 AM

I wonder if it is related to a brightness issue that surfaced for some folks in August.  The reset issue might be simply correlation, not causation.  It seems like the brightness issue was addressed but perhaps introduced a glitch that created this problem.   I did the same patch several have noted, and I still have touch screen functionality. All seems well so far (I'm a 20FQ X1 Yoga).

ML

Options

3 Posts

03-15-2017

CA

12 Signins

116 Page Views

• Views: 116
  • Message 4 of 11

2017-03-22, 1:40 AM

I've been following this thread which has several contributions from people experiencing the same issue.  

I decided to not have the laptop serviced in anticipation of a fix... Apparently the laptop gods took offence to this as for some reason (obviously i didn't disable updates correctly) Lenovo Updates plunked the driver back on the laptop this afternoon causing much grief in the household again...

Options

12 Posts

06-13-2016

US

19 Signins

170 Page Views

• Views: 170
  • Message 5 of 11

2017-03-22, 2:07 AM

After 8 hours of screen time, I'm dark again....I thought I really had it.  Of course, whadda I know.  I'm just a middle aged lady surfing the net for a solution.  I shouldn't have commented about it...karma no doubt.

At least now I know how to buy 8 hours when I need it.

Lenovo: we all need a real patch!

ML

Options

2 Posts

03-22-2017

CA

1 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 6 of 11

2017-03-22, 3:50 AM

Having the same issue.

Laptop was working fine for the past few months. Then suddenly screen goes black and there is no way to  get screen active again. I am able to get an active screen if I boot into safe mode, but not into regular mode.

Please help.

4th gen X1-carbon

Options

1 Posts

04-04-2017

US

1 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 7 of 11

2017-04-04, 15:11 PM

Just bought a new laptop and it worked fine until lenovo update made me reboot and seems I've run into this issue as well.  I am still within 10 days of buying so, I guess I'll return it unless lenovo has something to say?  I imagine that hundreds are these are clogging lenovo's return department if they bricked all of them over night.  I'm pretty frustrated that this thread was opened 3/17 and it't now 4/4 and nothing from lenovo.  It's not a good sign.

Options

3 Posts

04-04-2017

US

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 8 of 11

2017-04-15, 6:21 AM

I am having the same exact problem on a X1 Carbon 20FB.  Rather frustrating this isn't getting addressed.

Options

1 Posts

03-04-2017

US

7 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 9 of 11

2017-04-24, 20:22 PM

I am having the same exact problem on a X1 Carbon 20FB.  I have over 18-20 Lenovo machines for my small business and I am about ready to switch out and get everyone a MS Surface product.  Really disappointed with Lenovo on this one...

Options

3 Posts

10-15-2016

US

7 Signins

98 Page Views

• Views: 98
  • Message 10 of 11

2017-08-05, 17:00 PM

My x1 worked wonderfully until I did a system reset - spend a dya with a black screen. Safe boot didn't work, but booting to command line and disabling the vidoe driver did + a reboot. Worked well until I did a driver refresh via the Lenovo tool, which got me back to the black screen. Followed the suggestion to apply old version in the thread, which worked as long as the driver was updated, but vurious has anyone gone through Lenovo for this issue and what was their conclusion (live with the old driver, find an issue with the adapter itself, hardware issue, etc)?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save