Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Menenkel
What's DOS?
Views: 85
Message 1 of 4

Another finger print issue on Yoga X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Win 10 Pro

Hi,

I switched from a Macbook to this machine a few weeks ago and have been fairly happy with it.

The only thing that keeps bothering me (apart from the terrible battery) is the finger print scanner.

I spent the last days in forums, trying every solution I could find. Now I'm starting to believe it could be a hardware/wire issue.

This is what I tried:

- uninstalled the driver and reinstalled the latest one, scanned for new devices, automatic update, etc.

- played around with registry key

- disabled and enabled the finger print scanner in bios

- restart restart restart

A Pin is set up on the machine and working. Windows hello is still "preventing some options from being shown".

Some time ago the finger print scanner was still working, but it took me more than 10 attempts to set it up, because

it kept disconnecting. Now I also don't see it in the device manager.

Super strange.

If you have any idea or want to tell me that I'm an idiot ex-mac users that is overlooking something obvious please let me know.

Cheers and thanks a lot,
M

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 76
Message 2 of 4

Re: Another finger print issue on Yoga X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Win 10 Pro

It seems like these fingerprint readers go bad, as in "degrade to the point where the hardware is no longer detected". There's a quick way to check whether a hardware issue developed, see this thread and read posts 10 (bottom of page) through 17. 

Menenkel
What's DOS?
Views: 43
Message 3 of 4

Thank you!

It looks as if the fingerprint reader is enabled, but when I try to reset it this time (already did this some time ago) the system says: no fingerprint reader is attached. Looks like a warranty issue to me.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 32
Message 4 of 4

@Menenkel wrote:

Thank you!

It looks as if the fingerprint reader is enabled, but when I try to reset it this time (already did this some time ago) the system says: no fingerprint reader is attached. Looks like a warranty issue to me.

Yes, in that case it sounds likea hardware issue based on what I've been reading here. Annoying, but at least it's a clear problem that can be fixed under warranty! Hope the repair process goes smoothly. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors