cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
otis124
Paper Tape
Views: 113
Message 1 of 3

Anybody have blurry text issues w/X1 Carbon (6th Gen), Lenovo Pro Dock and dual monitors?

I am using this setup and getting blurry text on my Dell 2008WFP, but not on the other monitor which is a Dell U2412M.  Both are connected through he 2 separate DisplayPorts.

I have been using this same setup with no issues for 5 years through my Lenovo T440p, older compatible Lenovo Pro Dock station and a DisplayPort connection to the 2008WFP and VGA to the U2412M (the older pro docks could only do dual monitors if one of the two connections was VGA).

I have tried:

• Swapping cables
  • Swapping cords
  • Toggling Windows 10 display settings:
    • On/Off “Fix scaling for apps”
    • Different numbers for “Enter a custom scaling size between 100%-500%.
  • Updating the pro dock firmware.
  • Updating the Dell monitor driver.
  • Updating all Lenovo and Windows updates

I have also called into Lenovo support, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 63
Message 2 of 3

Re: Anybody have blurry text issues w/X1 Carbon (6th Gen), Lenovo Pro Dock and dual monitors?

Hi Otis124! Welcome to our forums community. Does the issue remain on the same monitor despite the swapping of the cable? If yes, have you tried connecting just the monitor with an issue? If the issue persist, then it is more likely the monitor is the problem.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

otis124
Paper Tape
Views: 48
Message 3 of 3

Re: Anybody have blurry text issues w/X1 Carbon (6th Gen), Lenovo Pro Dock and dual monitors?

Thank you for offering to help, but did you even read my post? 

The very first thing I tried was swapping cables, but the issue persists in the new setup (X1 Carbon and newer Pro Dock), but not the old setup (T440p and older Pro Dock).  I then tried swapping cords, toggling Windows 10 settings, updating the pro dock firmware, Dell monitor driver and all Lenovo and Windows updates – but the new setup still had the blurry text.

So, why would you say it is most likely a monitor issue when the exact same setup with the T440p and older pro dock station works perfectly?  I continued troubleshooting under a different assumption - that the issue  is with the newer pro docks which has unfortunately proved correct.

Through trial-and-error, I figured out it if there are two or more other USB devices connected to the dock station, I get blurry text.  But if I connect every USB device (headet, mouse, keyboard, etc.) to other places (besides the dock), I can get ok text (which is not a solution, because this defeats the purpose of a dock station in the first place).  In other words, it seems as if the dock station is highly delicate and even slightly overloading it causes the blurry text.  So, if I connect one of my two wireless dongles directly to the computer, stick the other in the dock station and then (1) run all of my other USB ports into plug converters and (2) connect via Bluetooth instead of USB, I do not get blurry text.

What I do not know if this is a deficiency in the dock or if I have a defective model.  Do you or your technical peers know why this is occurring?  At this juncture, I am leaning towards asking for a full refund on the pro dock as I am within the 30-day window.

Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors