cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tadcook
Punch Card
Views: 270
Message 1 of 7

Audio hardware missing after depot repair?

Damnedest thing. Just got my ThinkPad x200s back from Memphis where the main board was swapped out because of a really bad BSOD problem.

Discovered there is no audio, and so I thought I would just uninstall the audio devices via Device Manager, then let the system re-install.  As there doesn't seem to be any audio hardware, it is useless to download drivers.

Anyone had this happen before?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 266
Message 2 of 7

Re: Audio hardware missing after depot repair?

Good day.

That does sound odd. No startup beeps, either?

Do you have any unknown / yellow-bang items in Device Manager?

Regardless, have you tried to install the audio package available from your driver / support pages anyway?

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x20...

If the audio components are damaged / electrically invisible, the installer may just complain about no hardware to be found.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

tadcook
Punch Card
Views: 256
Message 3 of 7

No yellow-bang items.  And no startup beeps!  But I think I will try your suggestion of updating drivers anyway. To make matters worse, I frequently use this laptop for DJing at dances!

tadcook
Punch Card
Views: 251
Message 4 of 7

As I suspected:

"ERROR  Driver Installation Failed: Could not find the MEDIA device for this driver."

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 246
Message 5 of 7

Ok... well that, along with no startup sounds, coupled with no audio device (known or unknown) showing in Device Manager, sure seems to point at hardware.

Since you just got the machine back from a system board replacement at the depot, it makes sense to consider contacting them and having things checked again. Alternatively, if you're comfortable pulling the keyboard and a few other parts, you might take a peek to see if any connectors are loose.

Your hardware manual: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/x200_x200s_x200si_x201_x201i_x201s_hmm_en... will give you an idea of what might be involved in that

Regards.

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

tadcook
Punch Card
Views: 205
Message 6 of 7

A support tech at Lenovo logged in remotely and determined it is a hardware problem, but he expressed surprise at the symptoms, since it was just back from depot repair. I noticed that in the list of automated tests they run prior to shipment from the depot there is an audio check. Seems like even th most basic test would catch this.

They would like to re-image the drive, but I am hesitant because once (4-5 years ago?) I shipped it back for repair, but they re-imaged this 64 bit Windows 7 machine with a 32 bit Windows 7 image. I was surprised at how difficult it was for me to determine this.  The signs weren't real obvious.

They shipped out a box and I am returning it today. I decided to do that rather than look for a loose connector.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Tad, in Seattle

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 185
Message 7 of 7

You're welcome. Smiley Happy

Please let us know how things work out.

Cheers.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors