cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 1,098
Message 1 of 28

BIOS 1.17 - User experiences poll. (Fixes BIOS graphics change bricking issue)

Starting this thread so people can post their experiences with BIOS 1.17.

Poll response options (you can copy and paste the applicable option below into your reply):

1) Updated to BIOS 1.17 and also changed graphics from hybrid to discrete in BIOS and rebooted successfully.

2) Updated to BIOS 1.17 successfully, but have not changed graphics settings in BIOS.

3) Still on BIOS 1.15, but planning to switch to 1.17 shortly.

4) Planning to stick with 1.15 for now.

I'll start things off:

I do not use Linux (not currently at least). I have an X1 Extreme and I fall under scenario #3 above - I am still on 1.15, but planning to switch to BIOS 1.17 soon.

Guru
Views: 1,080
Message 2 of 28

Re: BIOS 1.17 - User experiences poll. (Fixes BIOS graphics change bricking issue)

1) Updated to BIOS 1.17  on a P1 and also changed graphics from hybrid to discrete in BIOS and rebooted successfully.

Flaky behavior by Lenovo Vantage app offering me updated drivers when everything was current. If you accept, then the installation will eventually hang. No other issues noted and my HDMI audio is working properly.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.32, UHD 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.24,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
Isafang
Punch Card
Views: 1,023
Message 3 of 28

Re: BIOS 1.17 - User experiences poll. (Fixes BIOS graphics change bricking issue)

Running on bios v1.17 and discrete graphics mode, no issues so far.

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 978
Message 4 of 28

Any change in thermal and fan noise behavior?

Isafang
Punch Card
Views: 974
Message 5 of 28

I’m not able to confirm any changes nor improvements in thermals as i did not do any benchmarking previously, i’m just glad that v1.17 did not brick after switching to discrete graphics.

Perhaps someone who has done previous thermals benchmarking would be able to advise so.

logicrebel
Punch Card
Views: 886
Message 6 of 28

@njweb wrote:

Starting this thread so people can post their experiences with BIOS 1.17.

Poll response options (you can copy and paste the applicable option below into your reply):

1) Updated to BIOS 1.17 and also changed graphics from hybrid to discrete in BIOS and rebooted successfully.

2) Updated to BIOS 1.17 successfully, but have not changed graphics settings in BIOS.

3) Still on BIOS 1.15, but planning to switch to 1.17 shortly.

4) Planning to stick with 1.15 for now.

I'll start things off:

I do not use Linux (not currently at least). I have an X1 Extreme and I fall under scenario #3 above - I am still on 1.15, but planning to switch to BIOS 1.17 soon.

For me, that's option 2). But I was already able to switch gfx to discrete on v1.15.

@njweb: Thx for the thread! I would also be interested in a 5th option: people on bios v1.17 switching from discrete back to hybrid and rebooting successfully. From my personal experience successfully switching from hybrid to discrete does not guarantee that changing it back from discrete to hybrid will work flawlessly.

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 873
Message 7 of 28

I  don't remember exactly but I think in Linux, we can do the switching. Perhaps we should add options for switching via software (one under Windows and one under Linux) in addition to switching under BIOS?

j1k2
Punch Card
Views: 857
Message 8 of 28

I have installed BIOS 1.17 on my X1E (4K) and I can report that I've toggled to Discrete graphics and back to Hybrid (and to Discrete again) successfully, and I can still boot into Windows.

This non-negative result is not a matter of joy but relief - this should be the normal operation.

My next hurdle is to install Ubuntu. I would like to install 18.10 but I ran into the "Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not found" problem and have not found a suitable workaround.

So it may have to be 18.04.1. Which already has problems: when booted off the USB stick, the screen unrecoverably goes black after about 10 minutes. This may be the screen saver, but I don't know because I can't bring the system back unless I turn it off and reboot.

If anyone has clues or a workaround, please post !

Thanks,

Jim

logicrebel
Punch Card
Views: 832
Message 9 of 28

@j1k2 wrote:

I have installed BIOS 1.17 on my X1E (4K) and I can report that I've toggled to Discrete graphics and back to Hybrid (and to Discrete again) successfully, and I can still boot into Windows.

This non-negative result is not a matter of joy but relief - this should be the normal operation.

My next hurdle is to install Ubuntu. I would like to install 18.10 but I ran into the "Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not found" problem and have not found a suitable workaround.

So it may have to be 18.04.1. Which already has problems: when booted off the USB stick, the screen unrecoverably goes black after about 10 minutes. This may be the screen saver, but I don't know because I can't bring the system back unless I turn it off and reboot.

If anyone has clues or a workaround, please post !

Thanks,

Jim

Thx for the confirmation on the discrete-back-to-hybrid switch!

For your install, I'm currently typing this in Ubuntu 18.10 on my X1 extreme(ly dissapointed by Lenovo QA), so it is definitely possible.

My experience with installing Ubuntu about a month ago (end of november):

- Ubuntu 18.04 didn't install, same issue as you have, but I managed to see that it was always reporting warnings about 'CPU thermal threshold' or something, by switching TTY I think (alt+number or ctrl+alt+fn key, don't remember which). I read somewhere I needed the latest kernel for the x1 extreme, so I went for Ubuntu 18.10 .

- Ubuntu 18.10 did install UEFI-wise, after setting these things in the bios:

- disabled all secure boot stuff anywhere in the bios

- switch gfx to discrete

Hope that helps. Only thing that doesn't work for me in Ubuntu 18.10 are the backlight control-keys. I'll pbb fix it someday, but haven't really tried yet. For now I adjust brightness with the xbacklight command.

Also, if you're up for it, from what I've read Pop!_OS from System 76 seems like the most painfree install for the X1E. And once installed, it seems to have the most decent support for the X1E hardware. Not tested it myself, so don't take my word for it.

j1k2
Punch Card
Views: 825
Message 10 of 28

Thanks for your reply. Rest assured, I would like to install 18.10, but cannot :-(

I was able to boot from the 18.10 USB once, but never again - now I always run into the "mmx64.efi not found" problem when I try to boot. Several other people have reported similar experiences:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1798171

On this web page, user #25 says:

-----
The cause is the system's EFI NVRAM contains variable names starting
"Mok*" - added by the failed installer run.

As a result of theses variables being present shimx64.efi tries to load
"mmx64.efi" and due to it not being in the installer's EFI system partition
it fails with this report.

The problem now is that there is no easy way to remove these stray variables.
-----

So how were you able to install 18.10? Were you able to do it on your first boot from USB, were you able to boot more than once, or did you find a workaround that let's you boot more than once?

Another suggestion I heard was to copy /efi/boot/grubx64.efi to mmx64.efi on the USB, but since it's a read-only ISO image, I don't know how to do that.

Thanks,

Jim

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors