cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
logicrebel
Punch Card
Views: 473
Message 11 of 28

Re: BIOS 1.17 - User experiences poll. (Fixes BIOS graphics change bricking issue)

@jim It's pbb best to open a separate thread specific for your issue. Now we're polluting this thread.

After setting up the bios, I installed it from a bootable usb-stick. Booted into ubuntu from the stick (the 'try ubuntu now' option on boot, or somesuch) and installed from there. Worked on the first try. Did this both on bios v1.13 an v1.15, not v1.17 .

Your issue seems to be the result of a failed first try, so I don't think I'm able to help with that.

About the workaround with the efi-file, after you create a bootable usb-stick from an iso-image, you should be able to change any files on the usbstick itself.
thinkpadpooper
Fanfold Paper
Views: 466
Message 12 of 28

Re: BIOS 1.17 - User experiences poll. (Fixes BIOS graphics change bricking issue)

No fix for grey fuzz when resuming from sleep. 

Not sure bout the other issues.  I switched to discrete only on day one and left it.  (Got my X1E early in the game)

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 436
Message 13 of 28

What do you mean by "No fix for grey fuzz when resuming from sleep. "?

njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 388
Message 14 of 28

Update - I just successfully updated to BIOS 1.17 a couple of minutes ago and everything seems to be working just fine so far. However, since I am not running Linux, I am not changing BIOS graphics settings and I fall into the following scenario now:

2) Updated to BIOS 1.17 successfully, but have not changed graphics settings in BIOS.

Krause
Punch Card
Views: 365
Message 15 of 28

Works great, installed 1.17 from the site (Vantage diddnt show it yet), changed to Discrete graphics in the bios and did a fresh install of Windows 10. Nvidia drivers need to be installed through Lenovo Vantage/Lenovo Site, but once installed they can be updated via geforce experience to the newest like normal (the Nvidia site installer says you need to use the manufacturers installer if you try that first).

1 Minor bug, The Nvidia driver from Lenovo is actually an "Nvidia And Intel" Driver, some kind of package that installs both with a script. If you fresh install windows with discrete enabled, the intel device never shows its face to the OS and the driver never installs (im assuming that part of the installer simply detects no device and moves on) but because of that, the stupid Vantage software always shows the Nvidia/Intel Driver as an avaliable update as it says "Installed Version:Not Available". I can only assume its detection method is busted or based on the Intel version or some hidden file/reg setting that says it sucsessfully installed both.

Either way, if you fresh install with discrete, your going to want to hide that driver install in vantage after installing it once (nvidia updates itself, you never want to let vantage touch it after anyway), leting it re install again doesnt change anything and if you already updated the driver with geforce experience, i dont know if this lenovo installer will respect the newer version and not fudge things up.

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 286
Message 16 of 28

Somebody in Reddit mentioned that the new bios increased the rpm of the fans and possibly changed the fan curve. Can anybody confirm this? How the change affects the noise of the machine? I suppose higher rpm means noiser?

Krause
Punch Card
Views: 279
Message 17 of 28

A little but just assumed it was because the Nvidia GPU is always running for everything when normally it might just be idle and unused for mundane tasks. It is no louder on apps that actually used the GPU before though.

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 275
Message 18 of 28

Thanks. Have you removed the mesh? Some claimed that after removing the mesh, the jet engine noise is gone but they cannot provide an evident.

Krause
Punch Card
Views: 235
Message 19 of 28

After further use I can actually say this bios seems slightly unstable. I cant say for sure if it is this bios revision or if it is the discrete graphics setting.

Once in a blue moon the screen will go all snowy like an old tv that is on a channel you diddnt have. This will happen when you try to bring the computer out of the screen power off that windows will do at whatever time you have set in your power profile.

It is very infrequent that this happens, but I have noticed it twice so far (and the screen has went off for power savings countless more times without issue), so it wasnt a 1 off bug.

Only way to "fix" it is to force power it down or have it sleep and resume (in my case, shutting the lid) which works since the computer doesnt seem to be locked, just that the display was messed up.

I dont know if its related, but twice also I have had the bios pause at the red Lenovo screen after scanning my fingerprint, and had to power cycle it to get past. Both times seemed to be after the first full power down done after the screen issue. I have "restarted" in between though on one, so I cant rell if it is coincidental or if its related.

Not show stoppers or anything, but these diddnt happen in 1.16 with hybrid selected, and I dont think these are software issues (if the screen was simply resuming from being black instead of actually off then it would without a doubt be software) so im assuming they still need to iron out some bugs with the bios.

thinkpadpooper
Fanfold Paper
Views: 229
Message 20 of 28

The snow screen happens to me very often. It only happens when resuming from sleep. Most of the time when it does it happen - it is from deep sleep. Every now and then I have had it happen from light sleep. I dont know exactly which S levels are causing it but I would advise that Lenovo Devs look into that.

Also - this has been happing to me from just about day two.  It started after a BIOS update + the last major Windows patch.  (All not too long after I got the machine)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors