cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 445
Message 21 of 28

Re: BIOS 1.17 - User experiences poll. (Fixes BIOS graphics change bricking issue)

@Krause wrote:

After further use I can actually say this bios seems slightly unstable. I cant say for sure if it is this bios revision or if it is the discrete graphics setting.

Once in a blue moon the screen will go all snowy like an old tv that is on a channel you diddnt have. This will happen when you try to bring the computer out of the screen power off that windows will do at whatever time you have set in your power profile.

It is very infrequent that this happens, but I have noticed it twice so far (and the screen has went off for power savings countless more times without issue), so it wasnt a 1 off bug.

Only way to "fix" it is to force power it down or have it sleep and resume (in my case, shutting the lid) which works since the computer doesnt seem to be locked, just that the display was messed up.

I dont know if its related, but twice also I have had the bios pause at the red Lenovo screen after scanning my fingerprint, and had to power cycle it to get past. Both times seemed to be after the first full power down done after the screen issue. I have "restarted" in between though on one, so I cant rell if it is coincidental or if its related.

Not show stoppers or anything, but these diddnt happen in 1.16 with hybrid selected, and I dont think these are software issues (if the screen was simply resuming from being black instead of actually off then it would without a doubt be software) so im assuming they still need to iron out some bugs with the bios.

I wonder if your issues are related to the "discrete' setting and /or graphics driver(s). 

I am on BIOS 1.17 and still on hybrid graphics and have not noticed any issues so far.

I'm not sure if my computer has gotten to a 'deep sleep' though, as you put it. 

Krause
Punch Card
Views: 436
Message 22 of 28

Re: BIOS 1.17 - User experiences poll. (Fixes BIOS graphics change bricking issue)

@thinkpadpooper

Since it happens to me sometimes just resuming from the monitor being off after 10 min of idle, it is likely the screen turning back on and resuming causing it for you and not the sleep settings specifically.

And since doing anythignt that would shut the screen off (restart/sleep the machine) I bet it is just a monitor power cycle that fixes it. If there was a monitor power button on these hitting it and turning it back on would probably be enough.

maarten123
Fanfold Paper
Views: 374
Message 23 of 28

Owning a P1 ( BIOS version 1.17 ) and having installed Fedora 29 on it, i wanted to see if i could reduce the power consumption by enabling "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode" ( i have boot-mode set to quick ) ... and it actually worked, no bricking.

*disclaimer* it works on my machine, try on your own risk, don't blame me if it doesn't work on your machine.

Krause
Punch Card
Views: 360
Message 24 of 28

Anyone noticing cold boot issues with this bios when set to discrete?

After shutting down it will sometimes just hang at the red Lenovo screen when powering on, hitting the power button and trying again always works.

thinkpadpooper
Fanfold Paper
Views: 323
Message 25 of 28

I have tried just about everything from a driver install/reinstall/versioning perspective. You are probably correct that it is related to the discrete setting. I refuse to change tho. Would prefer Lenovo fix their crap code.
thinkpadpooper
Fanfold Paper
Views: 321
Message 26 of 28

This is interesting. I have not tested monitor sleep.

I will point out that I have had this happen on my desktop before. Also see several other reports of this from other vendor machines. Could indeed be a more wide spread issue with hardware + OS + Drivers.
Krause
Punch Card
Views: 261
Message 27 of 28

Ok I have tested this even more and its pretty interesting.

We have determined that the snow happens infrequently after the monitor shuts off and comes back on (either from sleep or simply going off for the OS's power savings settings).

The bios freeze I spoke of ONLY happens if you shutdown and then power on After the computer has had its monitor go off (the snow bug diddnt need to happen).

It doesnt matter how long the PC has been on, if the power savings plan is set to shut the monitor off after 10 min, and you come back and move the mouse after 11 min to wake the screen up and shut down, the next boot will likley stop at the Lenovo red logo (imediatly or right after it asks you for your fingerprint/password if HD password is enabled). If boot logo is disabled, it will freeze right after the windows logo.

In both cases the logo is displayed for a split second and then goes dim and never progresses.

A hard reboot fixes this.

It seems to be related to windows crappy Fast Startup, which makes shutdown like a hybrid hibernate. Disabling it (in the Power Options/System Settings/Turn On Fast Startup) makes this never happen.

Also if you were to leave it enabled and continue to move the mouse every few min for an hour, and shutdown, it will never pause at startup. Same goes for chaning the OS power plan to one that never shuts the monitor off.

Something about the screen going off with discrete graphics (or just bios 1.17) causes issues with hybernate resume and, just as it can occasionally glitch and cause the screen to go snowy when it comes back on.

Right now im just leaving Fast Startup disabled since on this fast system with an NVME drive it adds what, like 2-3 seconds to boot? And it makes it a true clean shutdown/boot. But this should still be addressed.

Krause
Punch Card
Views: 209
Message 28 of 28

Just tested it again with the Balanced Power Plan in Windows 10, it sleeps after 30 min and hibernates after 3 hours. It does not resume properly from the hibernate state.

So The Discrete option causes issues with Windows resuming from hibernate, whether it be normal hibernate or the hybrid "Fast Startup" hibernates.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors