Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ishraqiyun77
Serial Port
Views: 173
Message 1 of 3

BIOS settings that don't do anything

In my many efforts to curb fan noise on the X1 Extreme and address other annoying issues--laptop turning on when plugging in the AC adapter and turning off the BIOS/Boot Menu beep so it doesn't beep loudly when you enter them and forget to mute before doing so--it seems like some of the BIOS menus and options in 1.19 don't do anything at all.

• The Power menu and the various options related to Battery vs Maximum Performance: I've played with these and there is no discernable affect. I managed to finally get Windows almost silent once it loads, but holy crap, the second you turn this thing on it starts howling like it is about to take off. Of course queue the comments at the airport, office, conferences, etc. along the lines of "is your laptop going to blow up?" There is no reason for this and the settings in the BIOS that should be affecting it do nothing. (Yes, intake and exhaust are perfectly clear; fans cleaned; paste and heatsink properly applied; etc., etc. etc.).
  • The Power option that is something along the lines of "Power on with AC".... tried it disabled/enabled. Still turns on when I plug in the AC adapter, which is pretty annoying.
  • There is no option to turn off the beep that you are entering the Boot Menu or BIOS... I can assure you, no one within a 100 yards of me needs, nor wants, to know I am trying to go into the Boot Menu or BIOS. I especially don't since I'M THE ONE WHO INITIATED IT. Can we get an option to turn this off? It scares the heck out of me everytime I forget to mute it, makes my ears ring, and annoys the heck out of everyone around me.

Admin note; post edited for implied profanity in accordance with the Community Guidelines. Keep it clean!

Edited for "implied profanity"... to other adults... because, you know, that is more important than providing actual helpful feedback or providing products that work properly. Got to have your priorities right. Cat Frustrated

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 106
Message 2 of 3

Re:

Hi ishraqiyun77, Thanks for reaching out with this concern. We recommend updating the BIOS to version 1.21. You can find the download link here. https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-....

Here is also a link to a forums article where members were able to resolve the issues you have raised (SOUND/FAN NOISES). https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Calling-P1-and-X1-Extreme-users-to-update-BIO....

Let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Wendel
802.11n
Views: 87
Message 3 of 3

Re: Re:

If you left click the small (Not Lenovo) battery icon, lower right tray icons, and move the slider to the middle, "Better Performance", you will notice a change in fan behavior due to the processor frequency dropping from 4 GHz to 1 GHz.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors