Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swhitcher
Serial Port
Views: 1,121
Message 1 of 7

BIOS update for x1 Carbon 20BS missing boot from USB

This morning, I'm working on downloading available BIOS updates related to Meltdown/Spectre, and creating bootable USB keys with the updates for each model computer that we use.  I've downloaded the update for the 20BS from here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

According to the readme file, this update should include a tool for making a bootable USB key to install the update, but the tool and the "Instruction US - BIOS flash USB memory key.txt" file referenced in the readme both seem to be missing from the download.  

Please advise how to create a bootable USB for installing this bios update. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,098
Message 2 of 7

Re: BIOS update for x1 Carbon 20BS missing boot from USB

Hi

Navigate to the folder where the BIOS update package from the site has been extracted to. Usually it's a subfolder under c:\drives directory.

Are there the following files?
BootX64.efi
SHELLFLASH.efi
mkusbkey.efi

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,095
Message 3 of 7

It's there in updates for other models, but I see it is missing from this one. Let's see if we can get that fixed.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
swhitcher
Serial Port
Views: 1,089
Message 4 of 7

No.  The files extracted are:

Name             
----             
32bit            
64bit            
N14ET43W         
306D2.PAT        
306D3.PAT        
306D4.PAT        
40650.PAT        
40651.PAT        
BCP.evs          
BIOS_LOGO.TXT    
chklghd2.exe     
chklogo.exe      
chklogo.exe.config
WinFlash32.exe   
WinFlash32s.exe  
WinFlash64.exe   
WinFlash64s.exe  
wininfo.exe      
wininfo64.exe    
WINUPTP.EXE      
WINUPTP64.EXE    

swhitcher
Serial Port
Views: 1,086
Message 5 of 7

Hey Bananaman - Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what I was supposed to get from your link though, that thread seems to be for a different issue.
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,081
Message 6 of 7

Oops sorry I had the wrong link in my paste buffer. Fixed now!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,076
Message 7 of 7

I don't know the reason why those files are missing. The mention of the capability to update the BIOS from the USB key (actually - from the EFI shell) has appeared in the readme file for v.1.18 (BIOS n14uj17w). But the BIOS update package didn't include the files needed, similar the recent BIOS update package.

So,
- the missing files may be a fault of the BIOS developers/testers/support site team
- the readme file may be a wrong one because of similar updates for next generation of x1c (either, a lot of another ThinkPads) include such capabilities.

In theory, it's possible to use those 3 files in my post above (and instruction you mentioned) from the x1c gen4 BIOS update package. At least generic Phoenix flash tool for EFI shell allows to perform that. The only restriction is a boot file BootX64.efi, it should be signed to use in appropriate laptop. Earlier, I tried to perform the BIOS update on ThinkPad with third-party (Lenovo's, but for another laptop) EFI boot file. No luck, it didn't boot in EFI shell.

The best way is to wait the end of Christmas holidays while someone from the support site team will investigate this issue.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors