Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

02-23-2008

singapore

5 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 1 of 6

BUYING OVERSEAS

2008-02-23, 2:46 AM
Hi...

I am residing in Singapore.  I intended to buy a Lenovo notebook X61 or X61s for my own use.  If I buy a Lenovo notebook directly from this website, what happen if something went wrong when notebook arrive?  Though its warranty covers internationally, if notebook breakdown throughout the period, can I bring it over to Lenovo in Singapore for repair?

Do I get the same spec or at least is there a min standard spec across the board? Lastly, is it worth the hassle getting it shipped here and is price compatible then here?

Thank you.
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: BUYING OVERSEAS

2008-02-23, 16:39 PM
stef5,

I assume you are asking what happens if you buy a model on the US website and have it shipped?

As far as I know models bought on the US public website must be shipped to the US.  Some customers have been known to buy a system and have it shipped to family or friends it the US, who then reship it to another location in the world such as Singapore.

Not all models of systems available in the US are supported in every country in the world.  Also, even when warranty coverage is available, the time of the warranty applies, but the manner in which service is delivered is dependent upon the country in which you are trying to get service.

I've blogged about INTERNATIONAL WARRANTY SERVICE previously, and that post contains links to pages on our site that can help you determine which models could be serviced in Singapore or anywhere else you might travel. 

I'm glad to see that you are thinking about this carefully before making your purchase, because a little extra thought and planning will ensure you have a smooth experience should you need service. 

Thanks for joining the forum.   No matter where or how you decide to purchase, I hope you will be pleased with your new Lenovo system.  :smileyhappy:
Options

3 Posts

02-23-2008

singapore

5 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 3 of 6

2008-02-25, 7:42 AM
Hi Mark...

Appreciate your reply...I am interested to buy via on-line (overseas) as it seems I can get cheaper B.) and sometimes the specs looks better...

Some friends told me not to think too much on brand names...I simply like its size (X61 or X61s) and weight and from the reviews read, the cons mostly cos its without the optical drive wic I am ok with it..  Do you have any idea if theres going to be sale (Singapore counterpart) on X61 or X61s pretty soon?  Otherwise I'll just wait and see if I can get a good deal during the next annual Singapore IT & Computer Showcase B.)

Options

92 Posts

02-24-2008

San Juan, Metro Manila, Philippines

195 Signins

2338 Page Views

• Views: 2338
  • Message 4 of 6

2008-02-25, 12:08 PM
Are there limitations for foreigners, let's say, purchasing notebooks in the lenovo website? What if they wanted it ship in a US address because they are coming to the US? Would the cards be accepted? If not, is there another way to pay?
--------
Jasper Jugan - http://www.backpackboy.com
x61 Tablet | 1.8Ghz LV7700 | 4GB RAM | MultiView/MultiTouch | Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit :)
Options

69 Posts

01-26-2008

United States of America

102 Signins

2056 Page Views

• Views: 2056
  • Message 5 of 6

2008-02-28, 10:25 AM
>> Are there limitations for foreigners, let's say, purchasing notebooks in the lenovo website? What if they wanted it ship in a US address because they are coming to the US? Would the cards be accepted? If not, is there another way to pay? <<

AFAIK you can NOT use a foreign issue credit card on the US lenovo website..

Bill Morrow, kept by parrots
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com
30+ thinkpads from 755CDV to S30, tablet 1 to X1C Extreme
----
She was not what you would call refined.
She was not what you would call unrefined.
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
Mark Twain
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 6 of 6

2008-02-28, 14:10 PM
Jasper,

Bill's correct with regard to international credit cards.   There could be an exception, but I'm not aware of it.

I have seen some orders that have been placed through alternate funding arrangements, including pre-paid wire transfers and the like.   I've also been involved on one of those after the fact, trying to untangle the finances and get monies returned when the customer changed their mind on the order. 

While one can prepay to avoid the credit card issue, I personally recommend against it.  

With credit card orders, Lenovo does not charge the customer for the order until the order ships.   However with a pre-pay scenario - any order delays can add to the anxiety for all parties involved.

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 02-28-2008 06:11 AM
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms