Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

12-23-2014

35 Signins

193 Page Views

• Message 41 of 58

Re: Bad ghosting / image retention on X240

2015-01-30, 14:59 PM

I just received my machine, which, as technical support had already told me over the phone, wasn't booting properly. I told them to send it to me anyway, since the alternative they suggested would be reimaging my hard drive, thereby losing all my data. I preferred to try to solve the issue myself. As it turns, they updated the BIOS, and to make my system boot again I had to repair the SDD's boot sector (I used `boot-repair` under Linux to do that).

Looking at the data in the BIOS, I found that they had for some reason substituted the mother board, and that is probably the reason why now the BIOS is reporting a different serial number than the number physically printed on my machine. What, why? I've called Lenovo again only to hear I can send the machine back for them to fix it. "No, thanks, I certainly don't want to go through the whole process again."

As for image retention, I've just applied the test in <www.marco.org/rmpb-irtest.html> and there is only very little, almost imperceptible image retention on the edges of this screen. It goes away very fast, which I think is the expected behaviour for this kind of screen. I'll continue testing it in the coming weeks, as many people in this forum have reported that their screens would come good from factory and start to show more and more image retention over time.

By the way, the now screen they replaced the old one with is of the same model: `LP125WF2-SPB2`.

Options

7 Posts

12-23-2014

35 Signins

193 Page Views

• Message 42 of 58

2015-01-31, 19:15 PM

More issues found with this fix (besides the minor annoyance of having two serial numbers):

* The screen is loose as you can see here

* The metal strip below the screen is loose as you can see here

I'm sending the machine back to the depo. The person I talked with over the phone said he was going to assign my case to a "manager", which I hope means he'll assign it to someone with a minimum chance of doing a good service.

Options

7 Posts

12-23-2014

35 Signins

193 Page Views

• Message 43 of 58

2015-02-07, 21:41 PM

My machine returned from the depo and it looks like they finally finished the service properly (i.e. attached the screen and the metallic tab). They also fixed the issue of the mismatched serial number in the BIOS. Just as the other time, fixing the BIOS does something to the bootsector of my Ubuntu install and as a consequence I had again to boot from an Ubuntu thumb drive and use `Boot-Repair` to fix it.

Options

1 Posts

06-17-2015

Russia

3 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 44 of 58

2015-06-17, 9:22 AM
norritt wrote:
I had 3 different 00HM111 all were bad so 00HM745 is my big hope for now.

Hi! About half of year passed, what is you mention about latest LCD replacement?
Same problem here, heavy ghost across all of screen perimeter in 2 month of use, very sad for such price.

BTW, how can i check LCD type and p/n without removing screen from PC, is it possible?

Options

3 Posts

12-12-2014

Australia

13 Signins

180 Page Views

• Views: 180
  • Message 45 of 58

2015-08-10, 10:57 AM

Hi, I was on this thread a while ago looking to upgrade my TN display that my Lenovo X240 came with.

I was after the higher resolution IPS display and couldn't really find which EXACT part number to search for which is why I came here... It's been a while now so I can't really remember which part numbers were compatible with the X240 and which weren't.

Anyway, I ended up finding a display with the part number: LP125WF2-SPB2. I bought it and got it shipped (to Australia) from here

About 3 months after the installation of the new screen I started getting random vertical lines running through the whole screen as well as terrible ghosting, where for example, I would have my browser open during a session and after closing the browser, an imprint of the window remains on screen.

You can see what I mean about the lines here. (Sorry for the bad quality, I just took it now with my phone. The lines may appear more thick than it actually is due to poor lighting in the photo. The lines are basically pixel dots lined up to form the line.) But yes, as others have said, I can defintiely agree that these ghosting/burn-in issues get worse with and more noticeable with time.

There could be many factors to what is causing this, but I am not sure if maybe the X240 is not capable of running this higher powered display? Becuase I have also experinced very noticeable and constant lag when playing any video (especially HD) fullscreen.

It is still usable, however it is very unpleasing to the eye, I might just give up on this "upgrade" and revert back to the TN panel. I'm still curious if there is actually a display out there that will do the job.

I hope someone might find this useful!

Options

52 Posts

08-25-2015

United States of America

125 Signins

1204 Page Views

• Views: 1204
  • Message 46 of 58

2015-08-25, 16:58 PM

Dear Lenovo support,

After a recent upgrade to Windows 10, a new screen background appeared on my X240 and now I realized that I have this image retention issue. But unfortunately my warranty has just expired.  I looked up my warranty from my serial number online and it said I was just a few days beyond the expiration, and the Lenovo repair depot said they would fix it under warranty anyway due to some 21 day grace period.  However after the issue was finally replicated by the repair depot technician, they said their records say the warranty expired in May; they said it's a billable repair and won't honor the warranty now. According to my records I think the May date is probably correct. They want to charge me over $600 for the repair.

Since the image retention is a known issue that was acknowledged as a production defect in the panels that I happened to get without realizing it until just after the warranty expired, is there any way to waive/override the recent warranty expiration and get this fixed without having to shell out $600?

The unit is still physically at the repair depot.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 47 of 58

2015-09-01, 16:59 PM

Received your PM and will share some additional thoughts there.

Best regards

Mark

Options

52 Posts

08-25-2015

United States of America

125 Signins

1204 Page Views

• Views: 1204
  • Message 48 of 58

2015-09-09, 5:49 AM
Thank you Mark, please check my PM to you
Options

3 Posts

09-18-2015

Germany

18 Signins

93 Page Views

• Views: 93
  • Message 49 of 58

2015-09-18, 21:21 PM

Hi, 

is there any news on the 00HM745? I'd like to know what display to look out for.

Monday I realized, that my x240 has ghosting issues.  I opened a ticket and was called about an on-site repair the next day. On Wednesday the Technician arrived, disassembled half the device, scratched the sides pretty good and even broke his tools on the unit ... only to discover, that he brought a HD Display (1366x768) instead of a FHD (1920x1080). So he disassembled again and reinstalled the original display. He also managed to screw up the wiring of the wireless antennas and block the battery release switch. And did I mention the scratching of the display covers and the base unit?

Yesterday the support called again, to inform me that they plan to replace my mainboard and fan. After protesting ("please don't this is basically the only thing working at the moment) the manually checked the FRU and noticed: yes, it's a display. I googled the FRU she mumbled and found the HD display again. I told her so, but she only offered two options: Technician yes or no. She also mentioned that the internet might be wrong and as I was not sure about the FRU, I accepted. So today another technician showed up, fixed the antenna issues and replaced the display, only to notice that it's a HD display again. So he reinstalled the original display again.

By now I had two different technicians taking my notebook apart 4 times. I still have my original display, the entire unit is scratched along the opening points, the display front bezel is not fully closing any more (there's a kind of rift on the bottom of the screen, where the bezel does not stick to the display). I called Lenovo to talk about this issue... they ensured me, that the case is still open, another part will be send and another repair attempt (on the display) will be made. I fear they will once again send the wrong display (and ignore my input), not to talk about the damages or my lost time. How do I break free from this cycle?

And all of this is not even adressing the issue, that the x240 quickly becomes very hot and loud when run in the docking station, due to the fact that the docking station is covering most of the cooling holes. Is there a solution to that?

Thanks for any help!

Best Regards

René

Options

73 Posts

03-08-2008

Slovakia

366 Signins

2961 Page Views

• Views: 2961
  • Message 50 of 58

2015-09-20, 8:56 AM

Hi All,

I got my LCD replaced longer time ago and asked service to put in latest FRU - 00HM745 and could confirm that this one is great without ghosting, at least in my case.

David

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms