Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ripper2020
Paper Tape
Views: 5,038
Message 1 of 14

Battery Loose / Battery wiggle in x230 and LENOVO solutions

I recently purchased an x230 and everything is perfect but the battery fit.  It moves up and down slightly.  I know there are many posts in the lenovo forums for all different models that the battery fits lose in "x" model and solutions of putting paper / foam / tape to make the battery fit tighter.  

What I'm wondering is if anyone has actually had the problem fixed by lenovo.  I've read a few posts where a user has had the base piece of the case replaced (where the battery fit's into) and that has solved the problem.  I'm still within my return period on my x230 and am awaiting a call back from tech support to see if there is anything they will do but I don't think I will keep it if they can't fix it.  

I'm just curious has anyone actually had luck by replacing the base piece.  From what i've read a replacement battery hasn't worked for anyone.  Also, I know everyone says its by design for thermal purposes but I haven't actually seen any official confirmation of this from lenovo.  

Thanks.  

ripper2020
Paper Tape
Views: 5,009
Message 2 of 14

Re: Battery Loose / Battery wiggle in x230 and LENOVO solutions

As a follow up, I'm just curious if this is a widespread issue?  Anyone have loose battery in their x230 / x220?  I'm not talking about it falling out...but just a few millimeters of wiggle room.  Basically when i pick mine up or place it down, I can feel / hear the battery move.  I'm just trying to get an idea if this is a real problem or thats just how every thinkpad is. 

I called support and they are sending someone to replace the base panel and we'll see if that fixes it.  I'll update this post when it get's replaced.  

Edit* I also asked the lenovo support rep if they had heard of this issue and they said no, never.  I don't see how this is possible as if you do a google search for thinkpad loose battery there are many results.  

Adreneline
Punch Card
Views: 4,989
Message 3 of 14

I have this issue too.

It is quite pathetic, the X230 has no better build quality than any other PC like people say, I even tried out an Acer (yikes) that felt more solid than this.

Extremely creaky/loose feeling top part of the lid (the piece that is separate from the rest of the lid), the whole laptop creaks or bends when picked up, the trackpoint buttons all feel cheap/crunchy compared to the previous one I had (which had extreme screen light bleed so had to go back).

It's not a very well built machine. The T430 was a bit better. All in all, I wouldn't recommend Lenovo anymore for a higher end laptop. 

ripper2020
Paper Tape
Views: 4,967
Message 4 of 14

Yeah mine has some light bleed too....but not extreme.  Only on the bottom left corner.  How bad was yours?  Mine is still within the return period and I'm considering just trying to exchange it for another one I just don't know if it's worth it.  Seems like I could get one with even more  problems.  

How is the light leakage on the new one?  Non existent or just better?

tianmiao0304
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,940
Message 5 of 14

My new X230 also have the battery issue as you said. However, I just try to ignore it since I meet another ridiculous issue- One of the key detached from the keyboard just in the next day I received this brand new computer from lenovo, and I can't put it back again.

I guess I won't choose lenovo again... ...

ariaxu
Serial Port
Views: 4,935
Message 6 of 14

Same here. Slight wiggle. I have the X44++ 9-cell battery.

I just fixed the problem by supergluing a thin styrene shim to the back of the battery to take up the slack. Amazing that I had to do this but the issue is sorted now and the fix is invisible.

RichardW
802.11n
Views: 4,928
Message 7 of 14

Same problem on my X220, and it is common (there are threads on the same issue for the X220).

It doesn't seem to cause any technical issues, but it really hurts the perception of quality.

Adreneline
Punch Card
Views: 4,910
Message 8 of 14

^No, the quality IS bad. Both my X230's were built very poorly, with some parts creaking like fisher price plastic. It's no perception.

ripper2020
Paper Tape
Views: 4,895
Message 9 of 14

Hmmmm, OK so it seems like that's just the way it is.  I was going to go through an exchange process and try my luck with another unit but it doesn't seem like it's really worth it.  I haven't read one person say their battery fits perfectly firm.  

This is unfortunate as otherwise it is a perfect laptop for me and there aren't many alternatives (I need the IPS display).  

What's even more dissapointing is how lenovo support denies every hearing of any issues with a loose battery.  I'm sure other people have complained about it to them.  I think I would have felt better if support just said the batteries sit a little loose instead of me thinking I have a defective unit.    

ariaxu
Serial Port
Views: 4,886
Message 10 of 14

What's even more dissapointing is how lenovo support denies every hearing of any issues with a loose battery.  I'm sure other people have complained about it to them.  I think I would have felt better if support just said the batteries sit a little loose instead of me thinking I have a defective unit.    

It's pretty sad. I love my new X230, except for the battery wiggle and the AWFUL strip of plastic above the keyboard. It is so chintzy and flexy.

On the bright side, it's not a freaking Mac.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors