Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

03-24-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 31 of 41

Re:Battery Not Detected - 2019 Thinkpad X1 Carbon 7th Gen 20QD

2021-04-15, 1:23 AM

Everything has been working for about a month after the work I did on the battery clip.

Options

2 Posts

01-12-2018

United States of America

14 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 32 of 41

2021-06-05, 19:38 PM

I think you are right, it is down to the contacts in that little connector.  There is a product called DeoxIT available mail order from you know who.  It is pricey.  The 25mL squeeze bottle runs about a dollar per mL.  But well worth it for almost all problems like this, and the 25mL bottle will last about 25 years.  Separate the connector, just a fraction of a drop on each set of contacts.  Wait a minute.  Wipe off the excess.  Reconnect, restart computer.  Disable the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery device driver.  Wait a second.  Enable the driver.  This worked for me. 

Options

1 Posts

07-16-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 33 of 41

2021-07-16, 20:43 PM

The BIOS Version v1.38 is not available at the linked address.

Please update the location and availability of this fix!

Thanks

Options

18 Posts

04-22-2020

United States of America

17 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 34 of 41

2021-07-16, 21:08 PM

You can get the most recent BIOS update for your computer in the Lenovo Vantage app.

1. Click Windows Key

2. Type "Lenovo Vantage"

3. Open the app

4. Click "Check for System Updates"

5. Install all updates

https://ibb.co/MhkXPKc

Options

1 Posts

07-22-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 35 of 41

2021-07-22, 17:40 PM

I am having the same issue. But how can I update my BIOS if the battery is not charging, and for updating the BIOS is compulsory to have at least >25% battery charged? Is there a way to update the BIOS in which having the laptop just connect to power is enough?

Thank you!

elongo

Options

18 Posts

04-22-2020

United States of America

17 Signins

55 Page Views

• Message 36 of 41

2021-07-22, 19:11 PM

Hi Elongo,

I wasn't aware of the >25% battery charge rule to install a bios update. From your post, it sounds like the PC/app enforces this rule even if with the power cord plugged in.

If the Lenovo Vantage app doesn't have a setting to allow you to override it (highly unlikely this setting exists), I would unscrew the back cover of your laptop to try and access the battery. I've been through several stages with this issue on my laptop (X1 Carbon, 7th gen) and think this will work for you. For context, I've had Lenovo replace the battery for the issue to show up 4 months later, then installed this BIOS update which solved the problem for another 4 months or so. I've done a couple other things that I won't detail, and am pretty sure the user who discovered the pins on the battery connector needing to be clamped down more is right.

Essentially, clamping down the pins on the battery connector is very likely to solve this problem. You can use a small, regular screwdriver to unscrew the bottom panel of your laptop. Then, look for the connector to the battery and with a small tool, clamp down the battery connector pins. You want to clamp down the pins for the 4 connectors in the middle (not pins for the red or black cords). You should see the battery connector right when you remove the back panel. No rocket science degree needed, anyone proficient with a screwdriver can do this. Make sure that you touch the outside metal frame of the computer (after removing the panel), before you touch any green silicon board on the back. Static shock can [permanently] hurt a silicon board, and touching the metal frame discharges it before it has a chance to jump anywhere else. Don't let this deter you, just touch the frame and you will be fine.

** Even if you cannot clamp the pins down, removing and re-installing the back panel should allow you to charge the battery for a short time. I believe this is static discharge that builds up in a panel, and this process alleviates it. Removing the panel worked for me, for a while, even when I did not clamp down on any pins.

Let me know if this does or does not work for you and I'll see if I can troubleshoot some more.

Spencer

Options

1 Posts

08-14-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 37 of 41

Re:X1 Carbon 7th Gen: "Battery Not Detected" error msg

2021-08-14, 2:12 AM

What is sad about this thread (owner of an 8th gen) is clearly this is a hardware design issue.  It doesn't matter how often you reset the battery, install new firmware, the problem will reoccur as soon as the JST connector for the battery creates intermittent connections.  So -- Lenovo -- when will you step up to the plate, acknowledge the flaky design of the JST connector, and make a fix for the techs to replace or augment the JST battery connection assembly in such a way that you don't have to handle the laptop like your walking on egg shells.  Mine was working fine until one day I was carrying it with the lid open to another location in the house.  Boom -- all of a sudden the "battery is not installed."  I have no doubt that the motherboard flexed since the case isn't very supportive in such a way that it jostled the JST connector and now I'm back iin battery reset/firmware update hell.

So - will someone at Lenovo step up to the plate, acknowledge the design flaw, and work on creating a fix for the community please?  This is my 4th Lenovo, and with current issue, will be my last.

Options

18 Posts

04-22-2020

United States of America

17 Signins

55 Page Views

• Message 38 of 41

2021-08-14, 3:29 AM

Like all true visionaries, yours won't be acknowledged for another hundred years.

Options

4 Posts

02-01-2014

Austin, TX

4 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 39 of 41

2021-09-17, 16:35 PM

THANK YOU for the paper clip fix. Somehow the AV system in the classroom I teach caused my laptop to give me the not detected, then when I restarted, it didn't restart. This fixed it! battery actually has 4 hours on it.

Options

2 Posts

09-18-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 40 of 41

2021-09-19, 0:14 AM

Have a ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 5, this problem started up a couple of months ago (and not surprisingly just a couple of weeks after the one year warranty expired!). I have seen the posts suggesting clamping down on the connections, and your photo of the battery connections is identical to mine -- however, it is unclear what I should be clamping down on in the photo re: the green/blue/white/yellow wires between the red and black power connectors. Should I be pressing down (lightly with a paperclip) on the whitish openings (or the metallic slots in the white frames) corresponding to each of these wires? Or are there some clips that I can't see in the photo that I need to get to (I've attached a close-up picture of mine)? Any help would be most appreciated.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)