Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Tito1337
Punch Card
Views: 32,175
Message 1 of 4

Beeps at power up : 5 beeps, pause, 5 beeps

Hi everyone

My X220 does some beeps when I power it up : 5 short beeps, a pause, 5 short beeps again.

I heard it before when I upgraded the BIOS to the latest version but it was louder. Now I hear it every time I power my X220 up but not when I reboot.

Another BIOS update didn't solve it but I think I may have accidentally modified something in the nvram.

Thanks for your help

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 32,300
Message 2 of 4

Re: Beeps at power up : 5 beeps, pause, 5 beeps

BIOS you have downloaded isn't original (i.e.modified). So, embedded controller and TPM respond to the modification.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Tito1337
Punch Card
Views: 32,143
Message 3 of 4

Thanks! That's reassuring, I thought it was an hardware issue.

Indeed I have installed a BIOS with WLAN-whitelist to have a better WiFi card than the Realtek one. Is there a way to disable those beeps?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 32,137
Message 4 of 4

@Tito1337 wrote:

Thanks! That's reassuring, I thought it was an hardware issue.

Indeed I have installed a BIOS with WLAN-whitelist to have a better WiFi card than the Realtek one. Is there a way to disable those beeps?

You could find information about beep errors in x220 User Guide. The reason of 5 beeps is "the system board has a problem". And the solution is - "have the computer serviced". Smiley Happy

Why don't you use Intel 6300/6205/6250 wifi card with Lenovo FRU?

That beeps might be disabled in BIOS setup - if you don't use TPM applications or capabilities make it "inactive" under "SecurityChip" item. But if you use Client Security Solutions (CSS), for example, you'll lost some capabilities.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors