Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

07-21-2020

Burkina Faso

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 2

Best X series Thinkpad for the money?

2020-07-21, 15:58 PM

Hello everyone,,

I recently got an X240 with FHD IPS for my travel laptop (previous was X220 - great keyboard, had IPS, but battery life wasn't enough, a genuine new 9 cell battery is disproportionately expensive and adds weight, and wanted FHD). Higher screen resolution is definitely very nice for sharper text, I would not want to go back to 1366x768, I'm using this laptop for 3 or 4 days a week. So I would rule out X230 due to lack of official FHD. X240 and newer also have a step up in battery life (lower power draw), and the X240 to X270 all use the same 68 series batteries (as do T440s, T440 etc.) so they are widely available new or lightly used, and with the powerbridge option you get various choices as to your preference of weight/thickness versus battery life - I've gone for internal plus external 68+ 72 Wh for max battery life.

The lack of trackpad on X240 is the main issue versus X250, I am considering the trackpad swap, will probably do it. The other considerations I'm aware of, if relevant to you, is that the X240 only supports 4k external displays at 30 Hz whereas X250 will do 60 Hz, and X250 supports 16 GB RAM (expensive single 16 GB DDR3L DIMM). I'm not bothered about the RAM limit but a 4k display is of interest to me (text sharpness).

I think the X260 and newer are still too expensive while not offering that much more (X260 has a third USB I think and X270 adds USB-C, ideally I'd have that but will have to wait a couple of years at least for prices to become reasonable).

https://showbox.bio https://tutuapp.uno/ https://vidmate.cool/
Options

1 Posts

02-22-2021

Romania

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Best X series Thinkpad for the money?

2021-02-22, 11:46 AM

@ KlausMikalson wrote:

Hello everyone,,

I recently got an X240 with FHD IPS for my travel laptop (previous was X220 - great keyboard, had IPS, but battery life wasn' enough, a genuine new 9 cell battery is disproportionately expensive and adds weight, and wanted FHD). Higher screen resolution is definitely very nice for sharper text, I would not want to go back to 1366x768, I' using this laptop for 3 or 4 days a week. So I would rule out X230 due to lack of official FHD. X240 and newer also have a step up in battery life (lower power draw), and the X240 to X270 all use the same 68 series batteries (as do T440s, T440 and @hindiloveretc.) so they are widely available new or lightly used, and with the power bridge option you get various choices as to your preference of weight/thickness versus battery life - I' gone for internal plus external 68+ 72 Wh for max battery life.

The lack of trackpad on X240 is the main issue versus X250, I am considering the trackpad swap, will probably do it. The other considerations I' aware of, if relevant to you, is that the X240 only supports 4k external displays at 30 Hz whereas X250 will do 60 Hz, and X250 supports 16 GB RAM (expensive single 16 GB DDR3L DIMM). I' not bothered about the RAM limit but a 4k display is of interest to me (text sharpness).

I think the X260 and newer are still too expensive while not offering that much more (X260 has a third USB I think and X270 adds USB-C, ideally I' have that but will have to wait a couple of years at least for prices to become reasonable).

That's informative but most of the things are missing.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms