Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

21 Posts

10-27-2018

United States of America

89 Signins

584 Page Views

• Views: 584
  • Message 1 of 4

Best dock for 6th Gen Carbon X1?

2018-11-22, 17:35 PM

I've read several conflicting reviews online about the thunderbolt dock....was wondering if any of you had experience with it?  My main concern are the reviews about the machine overheating while docked....it already gets hot enough simply browsing the web sometimes....so which dock are you guys using?  I would prefer one that charges the laptop and has a power button on it.  I noticed the Thunderbolt GPU dock doesn't have a power button.....many thanks in advance folks!

Options

16 Posts

10-30-2018

Sweden

46 Signins

491 Page Views

• Views: 491
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Best dock for 6th Gen Carbon X1?

2018-11-23, 11:51 AM
I am using the USB-C dock for my X1C6th, but would personally upgrade given the chance as I can't run my 4k monitor in 60Hz on this setup. If you are planning on using the dock to run on a big screen, definitely get the stronger one.

As for the power button I believe it's fairly easy to customize the settings/behaviour in power options if you're running Windows.
Options

148 Posts

07-13-2018

United States of America

580 Signins

3869 Page Views

• Views: 3869
  • Message 3 of 4

2018-11-23, 23:38 PM

wrote:
I am using the USB-C dock for my X1C6th, but would personally upgrade given the chance as I can't run my 4k monitor in 60Hz on this setup. If you are planning on using the dock to run on a big screen, definitely get the stronger one.

As for the power button I believe it's fairly easy to customize the settings/behaviour in power options if you're running Windows.

Yeah, I'm using the Lenovo TB3 Graphics dock. It's pretty decent, save the instability after undocking (resolved by shutting down the device then undocking), the lack of a power button, and a somewhat odd input latency with the KB and mouse.

There is a BIOS setting to enable the laptop to startup upon plugging in a power source, I suppose that could be done?

Options

9 Posts

10-18-2013

Canada

13 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 4 of 4

2018-11-23, 23:50 PM

I have three of the TB3 docks and on latest firmware they work great.  Not sure about the power button question - it has a power button on top that works fine to power up/down the attached computer without opening the lid.  

I use dual 2k monitors with these, no issues. 

No lag, no overheating (any more).  

I did have a problem with resolution not being properly detected when moving from one dock to a different one.  A re-boot was required to resolve this, but I no longer have the problem since I swapped out monitors so that all locations are the same resolution.  Likely a unique issue (related to driver loading for Windows fast startup)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms