cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ccjts
Punch Card
Views: 433
Message 1 of 12

Best value refurb/used/new 11-13" ThinkPads (not only X, but with stick) in US/Europe for light use?

For light use and best value, it can be a used/refurb X series. X is certainly not best value for that use case if new. Lenovo sells quite different models in the US and Europe, I'm asking for advice both regions. Light web and office use.

It can be a new machine, too,  but I absolutely need the TrackPoint, so the ThinkPad (Yoga) 11e - which is just sold out, as I see, an update is coming? Hopeully with the TrackPoint - is out of the question.

ccjts
Punch Card
Views: 391
Message 2 of 12

Re: Best value refurb/used/new 11-13" ThinkPads (not only X, but with stick) in US/Europe for l

Maybe I'm asking too much by asking for a TrackPoint. Maybe the TrackPoint can go (and with it, the ThinkPad logo as well), a touchpad may be fine, if it works at least as good as the glass touchpad on MacBooks. I just don't want to attach a friggin' mouse to my laptop in 2016, I'm not an animal. Smiley Tongue

ccjts
Punch Card
Views: 365
Message 3 of 12

Re: Best value refurb/used/new 11-13" ThinkPads (not only X, but with stick) in US/Europe for l

No answers here. Deep silence. I understand I may have asked a very diffcult question, knowing the notebook market is tanking with razor thin margins and blah blah.

But at least, I would truly appreciate if someone from the community stepped out and stated the obvious: that yes, it's a very difficult question, and honestly, we don't know any better, either. Smiley Tongue

ccjts
Punch Card
Views: 346
Message 4 of 12

Maybe we could, maybe we should move this topic to somewhere else? It is is not directly, just casually related to the X series. But I have not found here a general Which laptop to buy? forum, so I have no idea, really, where to move. I just like thin, light laptops in general, so I thought posting in X is at least a good starting point. Readers of this forum might feel for me.

ccjts
Punch Card
Views: 287
Message 5 of 12

Must be a very difficult question.

ccjts
Punch Card
Views: 247
Message 6 of 12

@ccjts wrote:

For light use and best value, it can be a used/refurb X series. X is certainly not best value for that use case if new. Lenovo sells quite different models in the US and Europe, I'm asking for advice both regions. Light web and office use.

It can be a new machine, too,  but I absolutely need the TrackPoint, so the ThinkPad (Yoga) 11e - which is just sold out, as I see, an update is coming? Hopeully with the TrackPoint - is out of the question.

Still a difficult question, indeed.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 245
Message 7 of 12

Indeed Smiley Happy

It's a very personal question, based on your use case and expectations... and budget Smiley Wink

I absolutely can't won't live without a  TrackPoint so for me something like a mid-spec T series - maybe the ultrabook version - but that's a little bigger than you say you want.

I have a pre-production ThinkPad Yoga 370 that I find quite impressive.  It's slightly bigger than the TP Yoga 260 it replaces but has a noticeably larger display in a smaller bezel.  Even the low-spec unit I have is quite capable and a pleasure to use.  The Yoga-ness is a plus in some situations... but drives up the cost.

It should be available soon and I'd recommend it - budget permitting.

FWIW,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

ccjts
Punch Card
Views: 234
Message 8 of 12

Well... So you recommend a ~$1000 machine (new or refurb or old) the best value for my use case... which is light office and browsing. Let me think!

I hope at least it comes in a non-Yoga version as well to save on cost, weight, and to keep my sanity. I don't know how deep into Lenovo/the PC-industry you are, but according to industry sources, no sane civilian really wants these 2-in-1 manhines manufacturers want to push down our throats these days. See Apple's clear distinctions between the laptop and the tablet. And sure, they know a thing or two about marketing. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - with data!

At least, I got one recommendation so far! Anyone else? Thanks yours!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 228
Message 9 of 12

As I said, this is a personal preference.  You did ask for advice, and that's mine, based on my limited experience Smiley Wink  I'm fine w/out the yoga feature but it's handy on an airplane and when consuming content in places like the kitchen counter.

If you want data, you should probably stick with those "industry sources" but I have to think that best value is still going to be very subjective and a moving target.  If budget rules and your use case is really that minimal, just grab the cheapest consumer laptop you can find.

Good luck with your qest.

Z. the insane civilian...

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

ccjts
Punch Card
Views: 214
Message 10 of 12

zoltanthegypsy,

As I said, this is a personal preference.  You did ask for advice, and that's mine, based on my limited experience Smiley Wink  I'm fine w/out the yoga feature but it's handy on an airplane and when consuming content in places like the kitchen counter.

Fair enough!

If you want data, you should probably stick with those "industry sources" but I have to think that best value is still going to be very subjective and a moving target.  If budget rules and your use case is really that minimal, just grab the cheapest consumer laptop you can find.

My industry sources aren't so secret, by the way. It was mention in the Ctrl-Walt-Delete podcast by veteran tech journalist Walt Mossberg. So, he has the sources. He is my source.

I and others say the most important aspects what makes a laptop a laptop are: the screen, the keyboard, and the pointig device. One one hand, you recommended a machine with both high end internals (omph) and expernals (the aforementioned screen, keyboard , and pointing device) for basic office and browsing. Now, on the other end you recommend the exact opposite: sure, I don't need high horsepower and internals, but you also recommended the device with the cheapest, worst quality keyboard/pointing/device screen. You know what? Unintentionally, you managed to bring me closer to the conclusion: sure, it should lie something in the middle. Smiley Happy

Here comes the problem: the PC industry produces laptops (not counting 2-in-1s, which usually ain't any better than the cheap machines, with the additional tocuhscreen, maybe a little faster processor, but not better keyboard and pointing device) in either of the top end, expensive, and the bottom cheap, low categories, the two categories you coincindentally recommended. Nothing in the middle - unless you opt for a new geenration Chromebook, which I won't do. I need a proper OS.

OK, I understand the Pc industry is dying and margins are razor thin. This is how it looks like from the end user's perspective.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors