cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ramasan
Paper Tape
Views: 98
Message 1 of 3

BitLocker Recovery prompted after turning Secure Boot off, encrypted from factory, do not have key

I recently received my X1C 7th gen. I believe Bitlocker was enabled from the factory. On initial set up, of course I do offline account. I never set up or managed Bitlocker settings (that I remember).

While trying to boot UBCD to test if I could boot, I turned Secure Boot off. Now when I go back in, I'm prompted for Bitlocker Recovery Key which I do not have. It helpfully mentioned to turn Secure Boot back on, which I did. But I'm still prompted.

Is it really possible that Bitlocker is enabled from the factory install, and the key is not saved anywhere unless you specifically go in to manage Bitlocker after you start installing all your apps?

Seems like I may be screwed.

ramasan
Paper Tape
Views: 94
Message 2 of 3

Re: BitLocker Recovery prompted after turning Secure Boot off, encrypted from factory, do not have k

As a quick follow up, is there a good link for doing a full reset of a system if the HD is lost? Want to do a clean factory reset - have to fiddle with or wipe the Bitlocker drive, reset Secure Boot stuff, etc.

Ultimately its probably going to be faster to just start the wipe and rebuild than hope to get the drive back.

ramasan
Paper Tape
Views: 48
Message 3 of 3

Re: BitLocker Recovery prompted after turning Secure Boot off, encrypted from factory, do not have k

Looks like the Digital Download Recovery is the next step - since I never got a reply to my online request for help over the weekend - not even an automated reply.

Got in line for a chat request - 18 deep and 25 minute wait.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103653

When you start by running the USB Recovery Creator, it prompts you to download - make sure to save to a separate folder as it starts downloading hundreds of files - its not a single ISO image. Waste of bandwidth

image.png

image.png

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors