Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MEAYRS
Paper Tape
Views: 751
Message 1 of 3

Bitlocker Hardware Encryption on X1 Carbon with LITEON SSD

Hello,

I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon 4th gen Type 20FB, 20FC. It has a LITEON L8H-256V2G for an SSD. I've tried to get Bitlocker to hardware encrypt to no avail. I want to find out if this particular SSD is capable of hardware encryption (edrive). I've searched on the Lenovo's support site, these forums and searched on Google without finding an answer. 

These are the procedures I followed to try and enable hardware encryption:

- I enabled CSM in order to boot from a USB optical drive with UEFI only enabled.

- I booted with a Win 10 Enterprise disk to get to a command prompt and ran the DISKPART clean command in order to put the drive in an unitialized state.

- I restarted the laptop and performed a clean install of Win 10 Enterprise

- After windows installation, I went back into the BIOS and enabled secure boot which also disables CSM.

- After logging back into Windows, I ran the manage-bde command to try and force hardware encryption (mange-bde -on C: -fet Hardware) but I get an error stating that "the drive specified does not support hardware-based encryption." 

I know someone will respond with this:

For Encrypted Hard Drives used as startup drives:

• The drive must be in an uninitialized state.

• The drive must be in a security inactive state.

• The computer must be UEFI 2.3.1 based and have the EFI_STORAGE_SECURITY_COMMAND_PROTOCOL defined. (This protocol is used to allow programs running in the EFI boot services environment to send security protocol commands to the drive).

• The computer must have the Compatibility Support Module (CSM) disabled in UEFI.

• The computer must always boot natively from UEFI.

I haven't seen any forum thread here, Microsoft or other sites I've Googled that can explain what some of this means or how to find out.

Maybe this SSD doesn't support hardware-based encryption, but I'd like to find out for sure. It's also very possible that I'm missing a step. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

joe_e_e
Punch Card
Views: 702
Message 2 of 3

Re: Bitlocker Hardware Encryption on X1 Carbon with LITEON SSD

I am not sure it will ever work for you.  The SSD has to have a firmware that supports the eDrive functionality.  I believe that Lenovo stopped producing those a few years back.  Please, check this thread for details:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/tp01_en/page/1/thread-id/92686

I got it working on my old ThinkPad Yoga, and the detailed description can be found in that thread.  But I had one of the last SSDs with eDrive firmware.

Best regards,

Karol (joe_e_e)

MEAYRS
Paper Tape
Views: 691
Message 3 of 3

Re: Bitlocker Hardware Encryption on X1 Carbon with LITEON SSD

Hi Karol,

Thanks for the info. That's what I suspected. It's very difficult finding whether or not a particular SSD is edrive capable. The only drives I've had consistent success with are Samsung EVO or Pro in conjunction with the Magician software.

Mike (meayrs)

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors