Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r2p2mtl
Token Ring
Views: 3,325
Message 1 of 5

Bluetooth speaker w/ x131e + Windows 8.1

I'm trying to use an external Bluetooth speaker with an x131e (intel) Thinkpad w/ Windows 8.1 and failing to get it to work.

I've tried (and failed) with two Bluetooth speaker options: an "HMDX Jam Party" and a "Nyrius Songo HiFi" receiver connected to a sound system. Both connect just fine with a Blackberry Q10 and and iPhone 5s. Both units appear as Bluetooth devices in the Windows 8.1 -> PC Settings -> PC and Devices -> Bluetooth and when I can select either device and choose PAIR it claims to pair with the device (connected) even though the speakers do not acknowledge being connected.

When I go to Control Panel -> Devices and Printers the "Jam Party" speaker is listed and via right-clicking the icon I get to its properties menu which shows that all the services are enabled. But the speaker does not connect.

In the Control Panel -> Sound menu it's listed as "Headphones" Bluetooth Hands-free Audio followed on the next line by the work "Disconnected" and beside the headphones icon there's a small down-pointing RED arrow. Returning to the Windows 8.1 PC and Devices -> Bluetooth screen I see that the device is now listed as "Disconected".

During all of this the speaker continues to flash it's blue light trying the finalize the connection. But it never connects.

I've never used Bluetooth with this laptop so I'm wondering if everything is properly installed. I did confirm that "ThinkPad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate Software II" is installed and that it's version 12.0.0.7000

Any suggestions on where to start troubleshoothing this would be appreciated.

Note that I don't think I have the second Bluetooth driver listed on the Lenovo drivers page installed: "Intel Bluetooth Device Software for Intel Centrino Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 + High Speed Adapter v 3.1.1306.0354". Am I supposed to install that one too??

Perhaps it's a Windows 8 firewall or security setting that's preventing the Bluetooth connection?

Thanks for any help.

Russell

r2p2mtl
Token Ring
Views: 3,316
Message 2 of 5

Re: Bluetooth speaker w/ x131e + Windows 8.1

In the Device Manager under Bluetooth I see listed :

Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0

Jam Party (the speaker)

Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator

Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumerator

Is that "Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0" entry appropriate for this system?

R

r2p2mtl
Token Ring
Views: 3,304
Message 3 of 5

fwiw I just successfully connected the Bluetooth 'Jam Party' speaker to my desktop PC that's running Windows 7 and whick has Bluetooth (which until now I never used..). So I know it will work with a PC and not just SmartPhones.

Russell

r2p2mtl
Token Ring
Views: 3,287
Message 4 of 5

I just uninstalled the "ThinkPad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate Software II" software in Add/Remove Programs and the Bluetooth speaker now works just fine via the Windows 8.1 Bluetooth interface.

So what was that software and what was it supposed to do (other than prevent Bluetooth from working)?? Is it possible that the Lenovo software was inappropriate for the Bluetooth hardware that's inside this x131e laptop?

Is there an easy way to determine what Bluetooth device is in there without cracking open the case??

I'll leave the "ThinkPad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate Software II" uninstalled for now. But I wonder if I'm supposed to install that other Lenovo Bluetooth software ???

Russell

r2p2mtl
Token Ring
Views: 3,279
Message 5 of 5

Lenovo System Update wanted to reinstall the software I had just ininstalled. I thought I would allow it in case the previous version was just not installed  properly. The install failed, downloading it and trying to install it manually failed, the Bluetooth feature in the Windows 8.1's PC setings and Devices disappeared and the entry in the Device Manager showed the Bluetooth device was not installed properly.

Uninstallng the Lenovo Bluetooth software via Control Panel -> Programs and Features put everything back into working order.

Guess the solution is to just not use Lenovo software.... sigh.

Rusell

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors