English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

696 Posts

08-07-2010

US

1292 Signins

10446 Page Views

  • Posts: 696
  • Registered: ‎08-07-2010
  • Location: US
  • Views: 10446
  • Message 1 of 9

Boot from mSATA SSD with Recovery Partition on hard disk

2011-07-27, 3:44 AM

I've upgraded my X220 with an 80GB mSATA SSD, and initialized the mSATA SSD from Recovery Media, which leaves me with Recovery Partitions on both the SSD (new boot/system drive) and the hard disk (now data drive). Is there a way to point the blue ThinkVantage button to the Recovery Partition on the hard disk so I can free the space occupied by the Recovery Partition on the SSD without losing its functionality? Thanks!

Solved! See the solution
John   [tips]   ThinkPad T470p:
Win8.1Pro64 | i7-7820HQ | 32GB | 512GB SSD | WQHD | AC | BT | Cam | FR
Reply
Options

53 Posts

07-21-2011

GB

365 Signins

1095 Page Views

  • Posts: 53
  • Registered: ‎07-21-2011
  • Location: GB
  • Views: 1095
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Boot from mSATA SSD with Recovery Partition on hard disk

2011-07-27, 13:41 PM

I would be very interested to see the answer to this as well.

Reply
Options

9605 Posts

12-27-2009

CA

3311 Signins

95268 Page Views

  • Posts: 9605
  • Registered: ‎12-27-2009
  • Location: CA
  • Views: 95268
  • Message 3 of 9

Re: Boot from mSATA SSD with Recovery Partition on hard disk

2011-07-27, 14:49 PM
I think it might be possible, but you'd have to make some changes to the boot options. Not sure exactly how that's done though.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Reply
Options

696 Posts

08-07-2010

US

1292 Signins

10446 Page Views

  • Posts: 696
  • Registered: ‎08-07-2010
  • Location: US
  • Views: 10446
  • Message 4 of 9

Re: Boot from mSATA SSD with Recovery Partition on hard disk

2011-08-01, 3:21 AM

wrote:

I've upgraded my X220 with an 80GB mSATA SSD, and initialized the mSATA SSD from Recovery Media, which leaves me with Recovery Partitions on both the SSD (new boot/system drive) and the hard disk (now data drive). Is there a way to point the blue ThinkVantage button to the Recovery Partition on the hard disk so I can free the space occupied by the Recovery Partition on the SSD without losing its functionality? Thanks!


Lenovo?

John   [tips]   ThinkPad T470p:
Win8.1Pro64 | i7-7820HQ | 32GB | 512GB SSD | WQHD | AC | BT | Cam | FR
Reply
Options

7634 Posts

11-19-2007

US

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

  • Posts: 7634
  • Registered: ‎11-19-2007
  • Location: US
  • Views: 400183
  • Message 5 of 9

Re: Boot from mSATA SSD with Recovery Partition on hard disk

2011-08-01, 16:46 PM

John,

 

We can look into this, but please keep in mind that this is a peer to peer support forum which means that we can't follow up on every discussion thread.   This is in line with other OEM forums.

 

Mark

Reply
Options

696 Posts

08-07-2010

US

1292 Signins

10446 Page Views

  • Posts: 696
  • Registered: ‎08-07-2010
  • Location: US
  • Views: 10446
  • Message 6 of 9

Re: Boot from mSATA SSD with Recovery Partition on hard disk

2011-08-04, 6:43 AM

wrote:

John,

We can look into this, but please keep in mind that this is a peer to peer support forum which means that we can't follow up on every discussion thread.   This is in line with other OEM forums.

Mark


Fair enough -- should I place a Support call?

 

Forum practices vary considerably from vendor to vendor.

 

UPDATE: To be fair, I'm making a number of assumptions here:

 1. That Lenovo is not currently selling mSATA SSD only due to supply shortages.

 2. That Lenovo will eventually sell mSATA SSD both in new systems and as accessories.
 3. That Lenovo will probably sell the same Intel mSATA SSD that I've added to my X220 (a main reason I selected it).

 4. That Lenovo will eventually sell systems with mSATA SSD for OS and HDD for data.

 5. That Lenovo will support Recovery Partition on HDD to free up precious space on mSATA SSD.

 6. That ThinkVantage Tools like Rescue and Recovery are important assets both to Lenovo and to customers.

If true, I believe it reasonable to think Lenovo would be able to provide the information I've asked for.

John   [tips]   ThinkPad T470p:
Win8.1Pro64 | i7-7820HQ | 32GB | 512GB SSD | WQHD | AC | BT | Cam | FR
Reply
Options

696 Posts

08-07-2010

US

1292 Signins

10446 Page Views

  • Posts: 696
  • Registered: ‎08-07-2010
  • Location: US
  • Views: 10446
  • Message 7 of 9

Re: Boot from mSATA SSD with Recovery Partition on hard disk

2011-11-04, 20:21 PM

JNavas wrote:

I've upgraded my X220 with an 80GB mSATA SSD, and initialized the mSATA SSD from Recovery Media, which leaves me with Recovery Partitions on both the SSD (new boot/system drive) and the hard disk (now data drive). Is there a way to point the blue ThinkVantage button to the Recovery Partition on the hard disk so I can free the space occupied by the Recovery Partition on the SSD without losing its functionality? Thanks!


At long last there appears to be a Lenovo solution for managing X220 systems with both mSATA SSD and HDD --

see my thread RapidDrive Advanced for X220.

John   [tips]   ThinkPad T470p:
Win8.1Pro64 | i7-7820HQ | 32GB | 512GB SSD | WQHD | AC | BT | Cam | FR

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Reply
Options

14 Posts

10-23-2011

North America

90 Signins

253 Page Views

  • Posts: 14
  • Registered: ‎10-23-2011
  • Location: North America
  • Views: 253
  • Message 8 of 9

Re: Boot from mSATA SSD with Recovery Partition on hard disk

2011-11-05, 1:47 AM

Hi John,

I had very much the same question, as discussed in this thread http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Where-is-my-recovery-media/td-p/579821

The difference being that I had already deleted the recovery partition from my SSD, reclaimed the space (80GB isn't huge), renamed my drives, and then discovered that I couldn't make my recovery media.:smileysad:

 

It turns out that the problem I was having is that at some point, the Levovo_Recovery drive was renamed to G:

This prevented the recovery media program from finding the necessary data.

I renamed it back to Q: and was able to create the recovery media on a 16 GB USB drive without problem.

 

Hope thats helpful.

 

 

 

Reply
Options

696 Posts

08-07-2010

US

1292 Signins

10446 Page Views

  • Posts: 696
  • Registered: ‎08-07-2010
  • Location: US
  • Views: 10446
  • Message 9 of 9

Re: Boot from mSATA SSD with Recovery Partition on hard disk

2011-11-05, 4:42 AM

gurachn wrote:

Hi John,

I had very much the same question, as discussed in this thread http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Where-is-my-recovery-media/td-p/579821

The difference being that I had already deleted the recovery partition from my SSD, reclaimed the space (80GB isn't huge), renamed my drives, and then discovered that I couldn't make my recovery media.:smileysad:

It turns out that the problem I was having is that at some point, the Levovo_Recovery drive was renamed to G:

This prevented the recovery media program from finding the necessary data.

I renamed it back to Q: and was able to create the recovery media on a 16 GB USB drive without problem.

Hope thats helpful.



Thanks. As it happens, I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I had thought the X220 was able to boot into the recovery partition like earlier ThinkPads I've owned, but now I see it won't, so there's no reason not to remove the recovery data after saving it.

John   [tips]   ThinkPad T470p:
Win8.1Pro64 | i7-7820HQ | 32GB | 512GB SSD | WQHD | AC | BT | Cam | FR
Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save