Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

03-19-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 3

Bootloop after BIOS update

2021-03-19, 4:24 AM

Hello,

I have an X1 Carbon 4th Gen (Type 20FB, 20FC) Laptop (ThinkPad). I got it used and the touchpad wasn't working correctly. I downloaded Vantage and update the drivers. It worked fine until Vantaged pushed a BIOS update. I had my laptop plugged in, initiated the update, checked back in 20 mins later and it was boot looping. It would display the Lenovo logo then restart. I have access to the BIOS menu but cannot get windows to load up. I have tried: resetting default bios setting F9/F10; booting in legacy; unplugged the CMOS batter; downloaded windows ISO on a USB and tried to boot from USB; leave the computer on overnight on the bios menu to drain the battery. Nothing works, any suggestions? 

Thanks.

Options

2264 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

248 Signins

11571 Page Views

• Views: 11571
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Bootloop after BIOS update

2021-03-19, 10:34 AM

Hi Telsa97,

Welcome to the Community Forums

Try rolling the BIOS back to the previous version:

BIOS Back Flash
- Completely shut down the device.  
- Press F1 repeatedly on startup to enter BIOS.
- In the "Security" Tab, click "UEFI BIOS Update Option" then set "Secure Rollback Prevention" to "Disabled"
- Click the "Restart" Tab and click "Save Exiting Changes" or Press "F10"
- PC will Restart and enter the Windows Environment.
- Head over to the Support Page for your device.
- Under Drivers & Software, Manual Update, then BIOS section, you can find the latest BIOS version.    
- Expand the BIOS driver with the down arrow. Right Click the download icon, then select "Copy Link Address"
- Paste it into the URL section of the browser (Do not hit enter yet)
- Change the nr of the bios version  (ex: 8HCN36WW  to 8HCN35WW or 8HCN34WW) and hit enter.
- Do this in the URL input section of the browser until you find the previous BIOS version to download.
- Right click the file and select "Run as Administrator"
**Note: You can also attach the file to a USB flash drive, boot from USB through BIOS and then run it that way.
**Note: Make sure the AC adapter is connected and that you have at least 30% battery charge when performing this update.

How to Boot from BIOS - Windows

Hope this helps

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

4 Posts

03-19-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Bootloop after BIOS update

2021-03-20, 0:05 AM

I disabled secure rollback prevention but I could not get windows to load. On a different machine, I downloaded the previous version of BIOS, saved it to my thumb drive and change boot order on my laptop to boot from thumb drive first. But I'm still encountering the boot loop. In the BIOS menu, I still see that it's on 1.48 the latest one so that means my thumbdrive didn't install it. What could I possibly be doing wrong? In my previous attempts, I could not load windows from a thumb drive either. 

edit: I tried multiple versions of BIOS, even the one that the computer came with. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms